The Simply Luxurious Life®: J’adore Fireplaces  

March 3, 2010

J’adore Fireplaces

With spring just around the corner, I’m realizing that I must add a chore to my to-do list – clean out the fireplace.  I only recently refurbished my Normandy-style fireplace and enjoyed becoming acquainted with its “personality” during the last few wintery months. 

The ambiance of crackling tamarack is something that a gas fireplace just can’t simulate.  Yes, I realize it is not as energy-efficient, but I felt obligated, I felt I owed it to my house, to let it be true to itself.  (I realize I am talking about my house as though it has a personality.  Don’t worry, I am not going crazy.)  But I must explain . . . I adore my home.  In fact, when I was shopping for my house, my mother was with me, and she suggested (even though it was out of my price range) that we should just “stop in” to take a look at the cathedral ceiling.  As soon as we stepped in the front door I knew I was in trouble. 

One thing I noticed immediately after we gazed up at the cathedral ceiling in ah and then literally fell in love with the great room (don’t worry, everybody was all right), was that the beauty of the original fireplace was being hidden by a gas stove insert. Well, after three years, I finally gave it the make-over I had always envisioned. And while it only seems proper that I should show you what it looked like, I need to remind you that I need to clean it.  Remember the addition to my to-do list?  So, you, my readers, are my motivation - “Must clean fireplace, must clean fireplace!” And then, after my task has been checked off, I would absolutely love to show it with you . . . I promise.

One thing I am in search of are any suggestions as to how to decorate a fireplace during the spring and summer?  I am loving the idea of the last photo, but I’m not sure where to find dried hydrangeas.  I’ll definitely be keeping my eyes peeled.

In the meantime, I’ve included a handful of photographs displaying the added character a fireplace can bring to a room.  I have intertwined a few Normandy fireplaces as well. Enjoy!

Barefoot Contessa’s Barn

 

Images: (1)  House Beautiful(2) Authentic Provence (14) Decor Pad

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

At March 3, 2010 at 3:37 AM , Blogger Fabulously French said...

Moi aussi - what beautiful eye candy!

Leeann x

 
At March 3, 2010 at 7:18 AM , Blogger Connie @ SogniESorrisi said...

So many beautiful fireplaces. They add so much to a room.

 
At March 3, 2010 at 7:38 AM , Blogger Couture Carrie said...

Beautifully written post!
Lovely interiors!

xoxox,
CC

 
At March 3, 2010 at 8:02 AM , Anonymous splendid market said...

your home sounds wonderful. I am looking forward to seeing the fireplace. We set a fire with birch logs in the livingroom.

We are kind of beachy orinted so I do a display of beach wood in the family room fireplace, with lots of seashells, candles, etc on the mantle.

 
At March 3, 2010 at 10:16 AM , Blogger Pratishtha Durga said...

Such beautiful fireplaces! Of course in a city as hot as Mumbai, they would not serve any purpose. But these are such a visual treat!

 
At March 3, 2010 at 11:10 AM , Blogger SabinePsynopsis said...

I love fireplaces, too. Totally fell in love with our house because of them. I wouldn't decorate them in summer; just clean them out. I think they are perfect the way they are.

 
At March 3, 2010 at 2:17 PM , Anonymous The Neo-Traditionalist said...

So much inspiration! The third image down with the bust inside is my all time favorite! XO

 
At March 3, 2010 at 4:15 PM , Blogger Style, She Wrote said...

C'est magnifique! The Authentic Provence picture is my favorite. I love a good fireplace, too. So nice to cozy up with a loved one.

Great blog! Will be sure to check back soon.

 
At March 3, 2010 at 4:17 PM , Blogger Laura Trevey said...

What an absolutely stunning post! So glad I just found your blog :)

xo Laura

 
At March 3, 2010 at 5:15 PM , Blogger I am Khatu said...

great selection of photos. You can buy silk hydrangeas at Micheal's or even Ikea. From afar they look close to the real thing.

 
At March 3, 2010 at 8:43 PM , Blogger Pauline Wiles said...

You're right, a fireplace is so lovely. I just wish ours didn't create so much smoke.
It looks like you have lots of great ideas here for summer time fireplace fillers. As some of your photos show, almost any large object can work well in there... The bust is really original!

 
At March 3, 2010 at 10:52 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I think you pretty much have to have hydrangeas growing in your yard (they can get quite prolific) in order to dry them. But I also think potted ferns, candles, and sea shells all look great too. Can't wait to see what you do! Hope your week has been a good one!

xo

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by The Simply Luxurious Life. Please take this opportunity to share a comment that is either positive, constructive or contributes and elevates the conversation. The Simply Luxurious Life reserves the right to restrict comments that are mean-spirited, contain profanity or personal attacks, or intend merely to promote a personal or unrelated business. All comments are moderated and will not appear until approved by TSLL. Thank you for taking the time to stop by.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home