The Simply Luxurious Life®: A Simply Luxurious Year  

February 26, 2010

A Simply Luxurious Year

Upon turning thirty last year, I began to view my birthdays as a second New Year of sorts, an opportunity for reflection, but also a chance to further my own growth.  Almost a test to challenge myself to see what type of person I would like to have evolved into after the next 365 days have taken their course.

Last year, since it was a milestone, I was fortunate to have my closest friends join me for an evening out in Portland at a restaurant that for me was reminder of how far I had come, 23Hoyt, but in lieu of presents they came with a list of things they had learned and things they would like to learn about this thing we call life. 

It was a farfetched hope that they would come with these lists, and I wasn't sure if they would comply. To my relief however, they didn't think I was acting odd or out of character and were glad to come with advice.  Some serious, some comical, all very much heartfelt, these were truly the best presents I have ever received.  To Elsa, Judy, Nancy, Alex and Saundra, thank you for a memory I will always treasure. 

I've since tucked away these letters and still pull them out from time to time.  This year I won't be spending my birthday in Portland, but none the less with those I love (that includes my dogs as well of course).

(Courtesy of Coastal Living via Writer Anna Gresham, Photographer Deborah Whitlaw Llewellyn)
So as we all wake up to a new day, whether it be our birthday, a new year, or simply tomorrow, may we take it on with gumption, courage and a little pizazz. After all, I just know it's going to be simply luxurious for each of us if we're determined to make it so. Cheers!

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At February 27, 2010 at 10:55 AM , Blogger Kay said...

Well, best wishes for the new year! :) I love your idea, may have to steal it...so, huh, thanks!

 
At February 27, 2010 at 11:00 AM , Blogger Couture Carrie said...

What a wonderful idea!

xoxox,
CC

 
At February 27, 2010 at 1:50 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

so many loves:
love your new banner..so simply luxurious..!!love it!

love the your b-day idea...!! Thanks for sharing!

Love the the way you end this post....! I am all for courage and pizazz!!

Darling hope your weekend is going great!!

Hope your weekend is going great

 
At February 27, 2010 at 2:12 PM , Blogger Matt and Elsa Nelson said...

Shannon!! That was such a fun evening....I thought it truly said so much about YOU, that you would ask people to come and share advice. You are the wise one! Hope this birthday is a wonderful one for you. I'll be thinking of you and sending birthday wishes!

Love,
Elsa

 
At February 27, 2010 at 3:27 PM , Blogger Gwen Driscoll said...

Love your new banner. Just beautiful. This is a great idea & I think I may have to borrow it. Hope you are well.

 
At February 27, 2010 at 5:06 PM , Blogger Pauline Wiles said...

Happy Birthday and New Year! I do hope it's a good one.

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by The Simply Luxurious Life. Please take this opportunity to share a comment that is either positive, constructive or contributes and elevates the conversation. The Simply Luxurious Life reserves the right to restrict comments that are mean-spirited, contain profanity or personal attacks, or intend merely to promote a personal or unrelated business. All comments are moderated and will not appear until approved by TSLL. Thank you for taking the time to stop by.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home