The Simply Luxurious Life®: Lovely and Enjoyable  

February 11, 2010

Lovely and Enjoyable

How many times have you been in the mood to watch a thoroughly engaging, well-written film that causes you to smile or laugh at various times throughout the duration of the movie, without having to close your eyes? 


Well, do I have a recommendation for you.  Especially with Valentine’s Day just around the corner, Jack Lemmon and Shirley MacLaine partner up in The Apartment which was released in 1960. Now don’t let the black and white fool you because many impressive films have debuted in black and white (To Kill A Mockingbird, anyone?).  The plot is witty, simple, yet creative at the same time. A love story that is engaging without a contrived ending. One of my favorite scenes involves Jack Lemmon’s character, C.C. Baxter, revealing his mad kitchen skills as he demonstrates his multi-purpose tennis racket (see the last picture below).  The humor mixed with the onscreen talent make for a very pleasant night in. 

There is something refreshing to be found in a film that doesn’t have to rely on excessive violence or sex to draw in its audience.  Oh, how I wish more movie producers would realized this is a quality that is still appreciated.

Hopefully, you have are looking forward to a long romantic Valentine’s Day weekend. Out of curiosity, what are some of your go-to films that have both a splash of romance and the perfect dose of humor?  I would love to hear. After all, we can never have enough movies about love’s endless possibilities, can we?



Fran Kubelik: What's a tennis racket doing in the kitchen? 

C.C. Baxter: Tennis racket? Oh, I remember, I was cooking myself an Italian dinner.
[Fran looks confused

C.C. Baxter: I use it to strain the spaghetti.


Image sources: (0) Source (1) Source (2) Source (3) Source

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At February 11, 2010 at 1:07 PM , Blogger Matt and Elsa Nelson said...

You know what, the Theme from the Apartment is like one of my dad's all time favorite pieces to play on the piano....so I've heard it my entire life and love it! But....sad to say, I've never seen the movie, so it looks like its time for me to rent it! :-)

 
At February 11, 2010 at 1:36 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks great! B&W films are the best. Love How to Marry a Millionaire- very funny and really sweet.
Have a lovely Valentine's weekend, xx

 
At February 11, 2010 at 2:53 PM , Anonymous a lovely being said...

the quote at the end of your post made me laugh out loud. it reminds me so much of myself-- I'm such an awful cook! I think I need to see this movie.

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by The Simply Luxurious Life. Please take this opportunity to share a comment that is either positive, constructive or contributes and elevates the conversation. The Simply Luxurious Life reserves the right to restrict comments that are mean-spirited, contain profanity or personal attacks, or intend merely to promote a personal or unrelated business. All comments are moderated and will not appear until approved by TSLL. Thank you for taking the time to stop by.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home