The Simply Luxurious Life®: Rooms of Inspiration – Shelves of Comfort  

March 30, 2010

Rooms of Inspiration – Shelves of Comfort

As a kid I always had my nose in a book.  Charlotte’s Web was my first official novel, and I was thrilled and felt quite accomplished to have read it by myself in 2nd grade, or was that 3rd?  Who remembers, 2nd sounds good though, doesn’t?  Anyway, Nancy Drew was next.  I absolutely loved her character – strong, independent, beautiful and intelligent.  Who wouldn’t have wanted to be cracking crimes left and right?  Maybe that’s why I’m also a fan of Murder, She Wrote?  Anyways, I’m digressing terribly.

As I recall the importance books have played in my life, I begin to realize why having them around me is so tremendously comforting.  It is in a book you can escape to when you are in a position where you’re waiting for something to happen – a hair appointment, the train to arrive or someone special to step off of the plane.   It is a book you can turn to when your mind is exhausted from the day’s events.  It is a book you can depend on when you can’t quite find the answer to the question just yet. A habit I try to keep is to always have a book in my purse just in case an opportunity presents itself.  After all, you never know.

I’ve always felt that the best gift in the world, for me at least, would be to have an unlimited gift card to Amazon or a local bookstore.   To be able to purchase books like candy and add them to my collection, what a luxury that would be.

Looking around my decor each time I have moved, the books I have collected reveal the past I have just completed.   It makes me smile, but also reveals how much I’ve grown, how diversified my tastes have become, and it thrills me as I become curious of what books lie in my future.

With that said, below are a gathering of rooms filled with books and magazines in their own unique way.  Each one would be a pleasure to spend time in whether it be to peruse through the collection or to simply read just one book and then drift sleepily off into a nap. 

Out of curiosity, what role do books play in your life?  And which room calls to your taste?  Here’s to finding the next book that you can’t put down until you’ve finished. May you find it in the near future, or even better, maybe it’s already on your nightstand waiting for you this evening. Enjoy the escape.


 

Images: (1) Oliveaux (2) Elle Decor (3) Point and Click Home (4) Elle Decor – Badgley Mischka’s home (5) So Haute (6)Traditional Home (7) Elle Decor (8) Traditions Journal (9) Elle Decor (10)Traditions Journal (11)   Elle Decor (12) House Beautiful (13)Traditions Journal (14)The City Sage (15)Ticklish From A Distance (16)Elle Decor (17)La Dolce Vita    

Labels: , , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

At March 30, 2010 at 10:29 AM , Anonymous Bailey@ peppermintbliss said...

Oh don't even get me started on Nancy Drew...life consuming for the better part of my childhood...
Books right now sit in heavy boxes DYING to go onto shelves and be admired...le sigh...one day soon

 
At March 30, 2010 at 12:25 PM , Anonymous Jill Seidner | Interior Design said...

Beautiful post! I love seeing rooms filled with books and these rooms are great inspiration! (AND I love books as well...always have!) It's funny was just thinking about Charlotte's Web the other day...seems every spring there's an abundance of spiders in my yard and I have to think of that book to get past disliking them!

(I also did a post on decorating with books awile back: http://materialgirlsblog.com/losangeles/2009/05/25/decorating-with-books/)

But I love the pics you featured!

 
At March 30, 2010 at 1:21 PM , Blogger Pauline Wiles said...

I love the look of the first room, but the one near the end by Elle Decor seems more inviting and cozy.
Yes, love books, but definitely don't read as much as I would like. I know Amazon is unbeatable for selection and price, but I really do prefer to browse a local store - nothing really compares to a good flip through.

 
At May 16, 2010 at 8:52 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love books! I'm dreaming about an own small private library in my future house, besides a walk in closet (like the one Mr. Big build for Carrie in the first Sex and the City movie!).

xoxo Sandra
http://glamirrorous.com

 
At October 23, 2010 at 4:20 AM , Blogger chateaudelille said...

I learnt to read with Nancy Drew and Trixie Beldon. I wish Murder she wrote was still going.Much nicer than todays stuff!Love pic 1 with how they laid it out.Fiona

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by The Simply Luxurious Life. Please take this opportunity to share a comment that is either positive, constructive or contributes and elevates the conversation. The Simply Luxurious Life reserves the right to restrict comments that are mean-spirited, contain profanity or personal attacks, or intend merely to promote a personal or unrelated business. All comments are moderated and will not appear until approved by TSLL. Thank you for taking the time to stop by.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home