The Simply Luxurious Life®: Are You Listening?  

March 29, 2010

Are You Listening?

It is Monday.  A day to start fresh.  A day to begin with a smile.  A day to step out on the right foot – to get it right.  Or at least to give it our best effort. During the past two days I have had ample time to contemplate, ponder and ruminate, almost too much time.  And sadly, I did not look this good (below) doing it.


However, out of all this time alone in my own head (and since I’m always trying to achieve, improve and grow – being that I am my worst critic, as I’m sure most of us are), my mind wandered to a particular piece I read a few years back written by Bob Schieffer.  If you have ever watched Face the Nation, you will recall that during the last five minutes of his show he commentates on a variety of his own thoughts. I, for one, find this to be the best part.

While I don’t watch it very often, in fact, as soon as CBS Sunday Morning is over, I’m moving on with my day, I happened to be intrigued enough to pick up his book Bob Schieffer’s America a couple of years ago which is simply a catalogue of those five minute commentaries he shares with his viewers each week.

To make a long story short, there is one commentary in particular that I copied and stuck to my idea board as I feel the general concept is a beautiful thought to keep in mind during those times when we are perplexed or feel as if no one “gets” us, or we’re unsure as to where we’re supposed to shine.
Have a look for yourself.  The reference is to a man he interviewed at the Aspen Ideas Festival named T.D. Jakes.

“He said something that day that I shall never forget.  He reminded [me] that no one is perfect, that we are all broken somewhere.

But he said that is not all bad.  A key is broken in all the right places to fit a certain lock.  When that key is placed in that lock, there is a quiet click. When we meet a person who is broken in the right places to accommodate our brokenness, there is a click.

It can happen in other ways: an introverted person hears that click when he finds a job that can only be done by a person who works well alone.


Whether it is a job, or a relationship . . . something clicks when we find the place that accommodates our uniqueness, or brokenness.

. . . some call it meditation – but there is within each of us some mysterious, inner thing that tells us when something clicks –we don’t know how or why, we just know.

We are all broken.  But listening for that click can help us to unlock many doors.  The voice is always there – we have only to listen.
-April 8, 2007


So, are you listening?  And if so, what have you heard?   Have a beautiful Monday and week full of moments that give you time to just listen.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

12 Comments:

At March 29, 2010 at 4:33 AM , Blogger Kay said...

hoping for that click today... for you too! :)

 
At March 29, 2010 at 5:28 AM , Blogger The Simply Luxurious Life said...

Kay - you are a dear, thank you so much. =)

 
At March 29, 2010 at 6:44 AM , Blogger caitlinmarie said...

lovely blog! most of the images in this post didn't show up for me though, unfortunately. I love this, key broken in all the right places idea. I just read your bio and as a former cheesemonger I can tell you, and I'm sure you know, that some of the best american artisan cheeses are coming out of rural oregon right now! i think it's pretty exciting, haha. xo, caitlin (pourlamourdefashion.blogspot.com)

 
At March 29, 2010 at 8:16 AM , Blogger Angela said...

We are not perfect but this is what makes individual unique in his/her own way.

 
At March 29, 2010 at 8:20 AM , Blogger Connie @ SogniESorrisi said...

Great images and a wonderful post! Happy Monday!

 
At March 29, 2010 at 8:43 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

This is such a lovely post and I will be thinking of it all week. Hope you are having a wonderful Monday!

xo Mary Jo

 
At March 29, 2010 at 9:21 AM , Blogger Alexandria ♥ said...

Good Morning Sunshine,
You are my go to blog every morning :)
Your insights are unique, original, fresh and ring so true.
You pose a thought or opinion and then answer....beautifully!
Like Sunshine!
I *get* you.
How about remembering that... good is good enuff and not striving for perfection.

 
At March 29, 2010 at 9:30 AM , Blogger Alexandria ♥ said...

p.s.
Another way to look at things is to say,
we all have strenghts and weaknesses.

 
At March 29, 2010 at 10:46 AM , Blogger No Stranger to Different said...

I love how inspirational this is. Quite refreshing on a rainy mundane Monday! Awh and hey, April 8th is my birthday :) I hope that means something good haha

 
At March 29, 2010 at 8:55 PM , Blogger The Simply Luxurious Life said...

Finds - beautiful thoughts and such kind words - thank you.

No Stranger - Maybe it is a sign, so glad this post could bring some sunshine on a rainy day.

 
At May 4, 2012 at 4:08 AM , Anonymous Melissa Lee said...

I always enjoy the messages you send through your blog. It is so refreshing to get a taste of fashion along with passion for living. Thanks so much for sharing this!

 
At May 6, 2012 at 1:08 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! What if we do listen to those voices, but ignore them because the answer involves a big change and people getting hurt?! Lovely post, I love the fact that it seems you know what I'm going through, and you speak to me, that is what happens to me with your blog, so thanks for listening! Lotsa love and clicking ;)

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by The Simply Luxurious Life. Please take this opportunity to share a comment that is either positive, constructive or contributes and elevates the conversation. The Simply Luxurious Life reserves the right to restrict comments that are mean-spirited, contain profanity or personal attacks, or intend merely to promote a personal or unrelated business. All comments are moderated and will not appear until approved by TSLL. Thank you for taking the time to stop by.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home