The Simply Luxurious Life®: First Impression  

March 9, 2010

First Impression

Whether we want to accept the truth of the following statement or not, deep down we know it’s true; after all, we are human and the most abundantly relied upon of all our senses is our sight.  We base are initial judgment of someone or something partially on how they present themselves upon our first introduction.  First impressions are a reality.   Whether we are interviewing someone for a job, meeting someone on a first date, visiting a destination for the first time, our first impression is just that – an impression upon our memory.  

With a home it is no different.  I remember the first time I was taken on a tour of my current home.  I can vividly remember standing in front of the front door with its worn-from-use, black iron knocker and being taken aback.  No door bell was necessary because one rap of this knocker would alert the attention of the owner from anywhere in the house. This particular knocker exuded a unique and original quality in my eyes, and I was immediately attracted. 

The entrance and foyer of a house set the mood, the tone, and reveal in a very small, compact window what is in store for the visitor.   Welcoming, tidy, presentable, contemporary, eclectic, bold, romantic or traditional – any number of adjectives have the potential of being set in stone in someone’s mind before they enter your home for the first time.  What impression do you want to send?  And what impression does your foyer send now?  It is certainly something to think about.

Keeping these two thoughts in mind, I’ve included a list of foyers that all make unique first impressions. Items that seem to be in just about every foyer for practical reasons are a mirror, unique and distinctive lighting, a console table of varying size and a place to sit down and remove one’s shoes.  As to what these items look like is completely dependant upon the style the owner is trying to achieve. What items do you feel a foyer must include? Enjoy having a look and welcome to each one of these homes.

I felt I needed to include two photos of the above foyer found at Decor Pad because there are so many beautiful elements – notice the seating, tiny table, a mirror and exquisite lighting.

A bold color immediately grabs the eye of any who enter this home, and with the added accessories and lovely console table a mood is immediately set. - House Beautiful

A simple, classic-ly clean foyer that allows the bones of the house to speak for themselves.  I appreciate how the color comes from simple elements such as the flowers in this case.   -Elle Decor

Cottage style with the above beams being revealed immediately whispers comfort can be found within.-Decor Pad

I have always been enamored with a spacious foyer furnished with a single table in the center of the floor. So powerful and screaming quality. –Decor Pad

If you happen to live in an older home, you may be fortunate (or unfortunate, depending upon your perspective) to have built-in decor by way of radiators.  I myself have a handful of radiators throughout my home, and love the character they bring.  But , how does one decorate with them?  One idea is displayed above, incorporate them into your design.  -Architect Design

The use of wallpaper and wainscoting announce a classic traditional look as one enters.  -Decor Pad 

A bit more rugged, yet clean and structured.-Decor Pad

I love the combination of the natural light, the long corridor and lavender in this particular foyer.  Scrumptious!  I would count the minutes while I was at work until the time came when I was able to walk in this front door.-Decor Pad

The double door, the glass chandelier and the mixing and matching of prints are simply stunning and work in an unexpected way. -Elle Decor

My eyes immediately were drawn to the blue and white urns on the floor and then they gently rose to the gorgeous bouquet on the console.  I enjoy the beige and china blue color combination as well. –Decor Pad

I will keep this short – the doors, the wallpaper – black and gold – gorgeous! -Elle Decor January 2010

And as we leave our homes this morning to venture out onto a new day  (with no mistakes in it –as Anne Shirley would say), it appears the sun is shining at least in the above photo, hopefully it is in your town as well.    Bonjour!

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

At March 9, 2010 at 4:30 AM , Blogger ticklishfromadistance said...

What an amazing collection. The black stone floor image has always been a favorite of mine as well. Gorgeous! I would not pass any of these up!

 
At March 9, 2010 at 6:12 AM , Anonymous The Neo-Traditionalist said...

So many lovely foyers! You used one from Elle Decor that was done by my old firm in NY---so excited to see it! I LOVE the hot pink wall. Such pizazz! XO Katie

 
At March 9, 2010 at 9:24 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures, I especially love the last one!

 
At March 9, 2010 at 9:36 AM , Anonymous splendid market said...

What a great collection of photos. Entry rooms are so important, "you never have a second chance to make a first impression".
I love a reminder to look at my home with a fresh eye. Your photos have filled me with ideas and inspiration! Thank you!

 
At March 9, 2010 at 10:25 AM , Blogger Couture Carrie said...

What gorgeous foyers!
It is impossible to pick a favorite!

xoxox,
CC

 
At March 9, 2010 at 12:57 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

This is just a wonderful post and makes me re-think my own foyer, which is lovely but I find that people are always laying their things on my glass console, which is not a good place for them. I think I need stools or something and right now, an umbrella stand too!

xo Mary Jo

 
At March 9, 2010 at 11:18 PM , Blogger Brabourne Farm said...

I've really enjoyed this post as I'm wrestling with what to do with our entry hall at the moment - love all these gorgeous images and I especially love your Anne Shirley quote! Leigh

 
At May 16, 2010 at 6:56 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The pictures you chose are always so tasteful. At the moment I don't have an own flat, but when I look at your pictures I immediately get one just to decorate and style it.

xoxo Sandra

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by The Simply Luxurious Life. Please take this opportunity to share a comment that is either positive, constructive or contributes and elevates the conversation. The Simply Luxurious Life reserves the right to restrict comments that are mean-spirited, contain profanity or personal attacks, or intend merely to promote a personal or unrelated business. All comments are moderated and will not appear until approved by TSLL. Thank you for taking the time to stop by.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home