The Simply Luxurious Life®: Weekend Essential  

January 29, 2010

Weekend Essential

Last year I picked up Rachel Zoe’s book titled Style A to Zoe and one of her suggestions that has stuck with me is that one should have a weekend uniform.  While there may be events out of the ordinary, for the most part our day off events happen almost on a regular basis - whether it be the household chores, catching up from the week that has just passed, or traveling to see someone or something that we  haven’t been able to see during the week, or maybe the weekend is your opportunity to enjoy brunch or coffee with your friends, while maybe sneaking in a bit of shopping.  

Wherever your typical day off plans take you, it’s easiest if you have a uniform that works best so that you can rest assured you look fabulous, yet casual, and you’re comfortable.

For example, Rachel Zoe’s Day Off Essentials:

*A great fitting pair of jeans (preferably in a dark wash)
*A roomy jersey or cashmere constructed top (a better alternative to a T-shirt, yet just as comfy)
*A wrap or shift dress, cotton, or another knit (that can be thrown on as quickly and comfortably as a T-shirt)
*A tote, hobo, or some other roomy bag
*Nude or bare lip gloss (for a finish even without make-up)
*Rosy cheek tint
*An all-season wrap or cardigan (that fits in your tote in case you get chilly)
*A head scarf (in case hair needs to be pulled back or completely hidden)
*Sunglasses
*Glam-on-the-go footwear (flats, boots, or wedges)

For the most part, this hits the nail on the head for me – I could live in jeans, just throw me  a camisole or American Apparel T-shirt (I know I’ve failed the test by wearing just a T-shirt), flats for comfort without losing style, and maybe some earrings – BAM! – I’m ready for just about anything.


Full Disclosure: I am a HUGE Rachel Zoe fan and would recommend you clicking on over to her daily blog (click here) where each day of the work week you will find an item for your wardrobe, beauty regime, home decor or anything in between that is absolutely outstanding (granted most of the items I will never be able to afford, but it’s fun to dream).And for the budget conscious, she also suggests similar items at much lower prices for each of the items she blogs about.

One of the components of  my weekend uniform that keeps it casual, yet feminine are my flats.  Whether they are ballet, loafers or sandals, flats are perfect for daytime.  Below you will find a handful of ways to incorporate them into your style.  By the way, I’m curious, what wardrobe essentials make up your weekend uniform?  I would love to hear.  Enjoy your Saturday.  Hopefully you are able to engage in whatever makes your heart smile. Cheers!

Tory Burch’s Reva ballet flats are currently my go-to flat.  They are simple, yet have a splash of shine.

Katherine Heigl wearing a pair of Tory Burch’s well known footwear.

Paired with boyfriend jeans perhaps?

Keep a slim silhouette by donning straight leg jeans with a simple ballet flat.

A great look for spring or summer casual – camisole, jeans and a beautiful smile.

Make sure that if the jeans are long that your top remains slim fitting and feminine, or simply be a size 2! Whatever works.


Worn with a blazer, skinny jeans and a simple tank.


Love this look for summer.  My goodness if you have the gams you MUST show them off.  Gorgeous Olivia Palmero!

The pop of color from the accessories work well with capri pants and the simple neutral-toned tops.


Nude flats to elongate the legs and look perfect with a dress.


Or a simple black flat with a dress.


Sandals look wonderful with a dress as well.

 
Or with a skirt.


Images: (1) Iheartthat (7) courtesy of Daily Mail (8) Hollywood Juices (9) Zimbio (10) team sugar (11) Style Byme (12) amazonablog

Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

At January 30, 2010 at 1:39 AM , Blogger Lillian C said...

What a great collection of pictures! Yes, flats are absolutely essential for weekend runnings-around :)
I'm new to your blog - I love it!!

 
At January 30, 2010 at 10:04 AM , Blogger Pauline Wiles said...

I love you pictures of flats being worn stylishly - I'm totally addicted to them and feel like I have a few too many pairs ;)
Great suggestion to develop a weekend uniform, too. In the summer, I've found a knee-length denim skirt with interesting top (and ballet flats!) can take me a long way. In the winter I'm a bit less consistent and definitely not as stylish.
Thank you also for your very kind words on my blog - I appreciate it!

 
At January 30, 2010 at 11:12 AM , Blogger Alexandria ♥ said...

Hi Simply Lux,
Do you like the fit of the Tony Burch ballet flat?
What is your favorite color?
Thank you for stopping by.
~finds~

 
At January 30, 2010 at 11:58 AM , Blogger Gwen Driscoll said...

So glad to have found your blog. I really appreciate you coming by mine. I love this post. Beautiful images and I love Rachel Zoe too. I've got that same book. It's really good. I'll be back to Simply Luxurious for sure. Have a great weekend.

 
At January 30, 2010 at 12:01 PM , Blogger The Simply Luxurious Life said...

Finds - I love my Tory Burch Reva flats - I have found nothing but comfort. What's nice is that the back (by the heel) is elastic so it doesn't rub against your skin. Right now I have the classic black as well as a blue leopard type print (I wear these with jeans all the time). I hope this helped. I always enjoy hearing from you. Have a great weekend!

 
At January 30, 2010 at 5:06 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

it really is true to develop a perfect 'uniform'. i keep trying to do that, but i also like to mix things up. nonetheless, i have a great pair of comfy jeans, flats and cardigan that works well...j crew has helped fill that void.
xox alison

 
At January 30, 2010 at 5:25 PM , Blogger The Simply Luxurious Life said...

Mademoiselle Frou-Frou -Thanks for stopping by. J.Crew has been my go to place as well for cardigans as you may have found out on my post Can't Live Without. Comfortable and inexpensive for the quality you receive. Have a great evening!

 
At February 14, 2010 at 10:41 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey thanks for sharing this in my fashion and beauty carnival..reallty insightful <3

--
Anto
http://antopatterson.wordpress.com

 
At March 16, 2010 at 2:44 PM , Anonymous Nine West Boots said...

I love Tory Burch! I feel like I should get all colours coz they are just so wonderful. I love your post and certainly love the pictures you have gathered.

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by The Simply Luxurious Life. Please take this opportunity to share a comment that is either positive, constructive or contributes and elevates the conversation. The Simply Luxurious Life reserves the right to restrict comments that are mean-spirited, contain profanity or personal attacks, or intend merely to promote a personal or unrelated business. All comments are moderated and will not appear until approved by TSLL. Thank you for taking the time to stop by.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home