The Simply Luxurious Life®: Ode to the Daffodil  

January 28, 2010

Ode to the Daffodil



Now I am well aware that I am no Jonathon Keats, so I will keep to prose to convey my thoughts, but hopefully I can give daffodils their well earned respect with the following collage of photos. This past weekend the sun finally poked its head out for a few hours, and I exuberantly worked out in my yard raking away the left over leaves and debris. To my amazement, underneath some of the long ago fallen foliage I found the beginnings of my daffodils (photo below). 

Now granted they have quite a ways to go, but it began lovely daffodil-filled thoughts, and upon reading Splendid Market’s post on daffodils earlier this week, I knew I wasn’t the only one craving a beautiful splash of color and life. Okay, so here is my laughable attempt at something similar to poetry.
Here is to January gently saying goodbye, ushering us into February.


Here is to the anticipation of spring and all things that can be reaped from its bounty.


Here is to the cycle of the seasons, may we all be thankful that we have the opportunity to experience each one, for that means we are still living.


Here is to hope, may we discover the wonderful moments that await us all.

The Irish countryside Kilkenny, Ireland


The combination of the forsythia and the field full of daffodils would be a breath-taking sight to come upon.


Think outside the box when it comes to a vase for your bouquet.


A beautiful bouquet. Am very curious as to what the other flower is in it.  Does anyone recognize it?


Interestingly enough, the flower for the month of July in New Zealand is the daffodil.  If you click on the above link, you’ll find out what each month’s flower is, as well as something I didn’t know until I came upon their website.  While I knew that daffodils could not co-mingle with other flowers in a vase because of the white sap they produce, I did not know that if you place the daffodils in their own vase for twenty-four hours, after this point you may mix them with other flowers in a beautiful bouquet as long as you are putting them into fresh water.  Who knew?  Probably many of you, but now I do as well.


A rarely seen bouquet of white daffodils – clean and elegant.


Lunch al fresco anyone?


I’ve always dreamt of a wedding in either fall or spring, simply because of the flowers that one could choose from.  Symbolically a wedding in spring would be very poetic and oh so appropriate.

Love in bloom.


Speaking of being non-traditional when it comes to weddings, this dress would definitely make an entrance.  I absolutely adore the originality and color.


Unique vases to celebrate a springtime bouquet.

Splendid Market’s bouquet which she gave as a gift on a friend’s doorstep.  Wouldn’t that be a beautiful surprise to brighten your day?


Why not treat yourself to a bouquet of daffodils at the end of this work week?  I recently noticed that my local grocery store had just received a delivery and am thinking I might just have to make a special trip. I hope you have a relaxing and enjoyable few days off.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At January 29, 2010 at 8:41 AM , Blogger Connie @ SogniESorrisi said...

Love that yellow dress in the Lily Pad wedding photo!

 
At January 29, 2010 at 8:44 AM , Blogger Alexandria ♥ said...

Dear simply lux (for short)
Simply a fabulous post.

I do not recognize the other yellow, lovely flowers, either.
I rented Bright Star the other evening,,, about John Keates.
I think you would love it, if you have not already seen it.
Cheers,
Finds.

 
At January 30, 2010 at 4:41 AM , Blogger The Simply Luxurious Life said...

Sogni e Sorrisi - I know that dress! I'm very curious to see how it was put together. It instantly caught my attention. It immediately puts a smile on your face.

Finds - Thanks for reminding me about this great movie. I haven't yet watched it, but need to and remember saying outloud to myself when I saw the trailer- I want to watch this. Thanks again for visiting!

 
At January 30, 2010 at 10:06 AM , Blogger Pauline Wiles said...

I'd never given too much thought to daffs, but you have some beautiful images here. I think the colored bottles with the single flower in are my favorite!

 
At March 16, 2012 at 6:19 AM , Blogger fea said...

I pretty sure the other flowers are Mimosa.

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by The Simply Luxurious Life. Please take this opportunity to share a comment that is either positive, constructive or contributes and elevates the conversation. The Simply Luxurious Life reserves the right to restrict comments that are mean-spirited, contain profanity or personal attacks, or intend merely to promote a personal or unrelated business. All comments are moderated and will not appear until approved by TSLL. Thank you for taking the time to stop by.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home