The Simply Luxurious Life®: Why Not . . . Journal Regularly?  

January 23, 2013

Why Not . . . Journal Regularly?



Louisa May Alcott, Ralph Waldo Emerson, George Bernard Shaw, Elie Wiesel, Ronald Reagan and Oprah are only a small fraction of a long list of notable public people who have kept a personal journal. Based on this long list and their unique successes, one can’t help but wonder if the practice of journaling aided in some way, or if it was a coincidental variable that should be paid no-mind.
While not everyone who keeps a journal will become the next celebrity talk-show host or United States President, I am confident that there is great value in choosing to incorporate this simple, yet rich habit to one’s daily routine.

As someone who has been journaling (or keeping a diary) since I was a young girl, there was only a short duration in my mid-twenties when I did not maintain this ritual, and I must say that when I resumed journaling about five years ago, I quickly was reminded of why I hope to never give it up again.

Here are a few benefits of regular journaling that I have found to be most worth the extra effort at the end, beginning or whenever time allows throughout the day.

1. A Catalog of Inspiration
As a blogger, writer and someone who is always looking for inspiration, keeping my journal nearby allows me to write down quotes I hear, recipes I want to try, books I want to read, films I want to see or ideas that pop into my head at random times. While initially I may think I will never forget these bursts of light bulb moments, I have learned from experience that if I don’t write them down, I will forget them, and I always kick myself for not recording it the moment it occurs. For example, while watching Lincoln in the theater last month, I had my journal and pen ready to write down any quote that piqued my interest or spoke to me, and as you might imagine, there were a few – this was just one of them. You really never know when inspiration will strike, so have a means to capture it when it does.

2. A Record of Events, Thoughts, Questions, etc
Much like a diary, a journal provides a place to record events in your life, your feelings at different moments in your life and questions you have about your life. What I love most about including these three items in my journal is when I reflect back after a year or two has passed. To hear my voice, observe what I was fearful or elated about and notice questions that I now have answers to is a very powerful reminder that each of us is the curator of our own lives, and while in the moment it may seem nothing is improving or changing, with time change does occur.

3. Relieve Tension
Before letting your frustrations out on an innocent store clerk or supportive family member or friend and then having to deal with the guilt of your mismanaged frustration, write down your fears, reasons for anger or disgust and anything else that may have caused you to have a bad day in your journal. While putting your feelings down on page may not remedy the problem entirely, it will at least give you time to sort through what is really upsetting you, take a deep breath and resolve what ever is upsetting you constructively.

4. Provide Self-Counseling
Along the same lines of benefit #3, often by regularly journaling we can, upon reflection, notice certain trends or triggers that we may not be aware of in the present moment. That is why it is a good idea to keep journals once they are full. Also, the journal is always a good listener, and while it is a blessing to have a trusted friend you can talk to, to always be filling their ear with your worries may get tiresome, so allow your journal to carry some of the weight.

5. Prevention to Ward off Ingratitude
Just as journals are a wonderful tool to cathartically rid yourself of negative emotions, they are also useful for recording reasons to be grateful. Keeping a gratitude journal as Sarah Ban Breathnach suggests in her book Simple Abundance, helps us to remain present and remind ourselves of all that is going well.

6. An Aid in Staying Focused
Whether it is New Year’s, my birthday, or the beginning of the school year, I will be writing down goals for myself and then regularly checking in on my progress as I move forward. By writing my goals in my journal, and then referring back to what I have written regularly, I assist myself in staying on track and focused. And upon completion, reflecting on my accomplishments is a wonderful reminder and confidence booster as I go about setting new goals, which attests to the fact that I can accomplish whatever I set my mind to.

Maybe you already practice journaling, or maybe you were like me and used to engage regularly but have recently stepping away from the habit due to a busy schedule. Wherever you find yourself, here are a few things that may help you get back into practice:

*Buy a beautiful journal or one that inspires you to fill the pages

*Treat yourself to a quality pen or writing utensil

*Create a ritual that is something you look forward to when you sit down to write. Perhaps a scrumptious cup of tea could be poured to accompany your writing, nibbling on a truffle, sitting in a cozy chair or snuggling up in bed with your favorite plush pillow to prop up your journal while you write. Whatever speaks to you or encourages you to write freely, welcome it into your daily routine as well.

*Don’t be judgmental of yourself or what you write. The journal is simply for your benefit and no one else’s. Consider this a sketch or a rough draft and try to allow your authentic self, interests, curiosities and thoughts flow freely.

{My go-to journal of choice for the past four years has been Moleskine as it comes it a variety of different colors, sizes and styles (lined, blank, grid, etc).}

Images: (1) pinterest

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

At January 23, 2013 at 3:49 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Moleskine journals are the best, I keep two, one for my daily journaling and a smaller one for my short term goals that I tote around in my purse when I am losing focus and need inspiration to get back on track.

 
At January 23, 2013 at 5:44 AM , Blogger The Simply Luxurious Life said...

Great idea! Thank you for sharing.

 
At January 23, 2013 at 12:25 PM , Blogger Vannessa@Luxuria said...

I do journal every night, but in a Gratitude Journal. I select a list of things I was grateful for that day; however big or small. It's a wonderful way to go to sleep afterwards because you can't help feeling optimistic. It's also wonderful reading older entries and being reminded just how blessed I really am. We can sometimes forget with the "noise" of every day living. I got this idea from Oprah who has been doing this for decades ;-)

 
At January 23, 2013 at 3:29 PM , Anonymous Valarie@MooreBeautiful said...

I am with you Shannon i am a long time journaler sometimes I get away from it but I always go back! My problem is that I have more journals that I can write in, I am a sucker for a pretty journal and tend to pick them up when I see one I like. I also have a journal for each of my kids so that I can journal about moments I do not want to forget!

 
At January 27, 2013 at 7:59 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is there a particular style/brand of pen that you use or would recommend? I have really struggled to find something in between a (low-end) ~$200 designer fountain pen and the drug store variety. I'd love to hear what you use!

 
At January 29, 2013 at 6:06 PM , Blogger The Simply Luxurious Life said...

While I don't have a favorite, I prefer black with a sturdy grip and a click or twist capability to retract the tip. Similar to this ballpoint pen - http://astore.amazon.com/simplluxur-20/detail/B0039XFZ3C

Real Simple did share their top pens here - http://www.realsimple.com/home-organizing/best-pens-00100000066032/index.html

 
At February 15, 2013 at 10:37 PM , Anonymous Ayesha said...

I love the idea for the smaller journal to keep with you for inspiration!

 
At August 31, 2013 at 9:05 AM , Blogger Debbie D said...

I find that if I journal online that I can type my thoughts faster than I can write them. Plus, I am completely open with my thoughts. I have no nagging fear of my journal being discovered and read. For me it is very freeing to have it online stored for a few dollars a year.

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by The Simply Luxurious Life. Please take this opportunity to share a comment that is either positive, constructive or contributes and elevates the conversation. The Simply Luxurious Life reserves the right to restrict comments that are mean-spirited, contain profanity or personal attacks, or intend merely to promote a personal or unrelated business. All comments are moderated and will not appear until approved by TSLL. Thank you for taking the time to stop by.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home