The Simply Luxurious Life®: Rules of Style – Gabrielle ‘Coco’ Chanel  

May 26, 2011

Rules of Style – Gabrielle ‘Coco’ Chanel

Where would women’s fashion be without Coco Chanel? Certainly it would be a bit different, maybe a little less confident and certainly a lot less comfortable.

With her attention to expensive simplicity, Chanel began by creating clothing for women out of jersey – unheard of at the time, and by 1919, Chanel’s name was well-known in the minds of those who knew fashion as she established her now famous maison de couture at 31 rue Cambon in Paris.

The classic Chanel No.5 scent was created in 1921 to embody a scent ‘which smells of a woman’ and continues to remain one of the most popular scents in the world. While Karl Lagerfeld now mans the fashion house of Chanel, Coco’s inspiration is never ignored (resort 2012, spring couture 2011, fall couture 2010/11)  .

The Rules of Style list just wouldn’t be complete without paying homage to a woman who’s determination, grit and frank approach to living life on her terms inspires me and so many others regularly. While many people deem her life unconventional, for that very reason, I applaud her. Life is meant to be lived in such a way that is not in following, but in offering our talents and abilities to the world. Gabrielle Chanel certainly did that and left behind a legacy that can be seen nearly everywhere in the fashion world and elsewhere.

Here are a collection of favorite quotes and images that exhibit her classic style and matter-of-fact observations.

“To achieve great things, we must first dream.”

 

“How many cares one loses when one decides not to be something but to be someone.”

 

"My life didn't please me, so I created my life."

 

“Success is often achieved by those who don`t know that failure is inevitable.”

 

"Women think of all colors except the absence of color. I have said that black has it all. White too. Their beauty is absolute. It is the perfect harmony."

 

 

"It’s probably not just by chance that I’m alone. It would be very hard for a man to live with me, unless he’s terribly strong. And if he’s stronger than I, I’m the one who can’t live with him. … I’m neither smart nor stupid, but I don’t think I’m a run-of-the-mill person. I’ve been in business without being a businesswoman, I’ve loved without being a woman made only for love. The two men I’ve loved, I think, will remember me, on earth or in heaven, because men always remember a woman who caused them concern and uneasiness. I’ve done my best, in regard to people and to life, without precepts, but with a taste for justice."

 

“I don`t understand how a woman can leave the house without fixing herself up a little - if only out of politeness. And then, you never know, maybe that`s the day she has a date with destiny. And it`s best to be as pretty as possible for destiny.”

 

"I don't care what you think about me. I don't think about you at all."

 

“A girl should be two things: who and what she wants.”

 

“Dress sharply and they`ll remember the outfit; dress impeccably and they`ll remember the woman.”

 

“Don`t spend time beating on a wall, hoping to transform it into a door.”

 

"Simplicity is the keynote of all true elegance."

 

“Innovation! One cannot be forever innovating. I want to create classics.”

And that she did.

 

Images: (1) Source (2) Source (3) Source (4) source (5) Source (6) Source (7) Source (9) Source (10) Source (11) Source (12) Source (13)Source

8 Comments:

At May 26, 2011 at 4:02 AM , Blogger The Dainty Dolls House said...

I love Coco, she was a smart and bright lady & it's great her knowledge and wisdom still gets appreciated by so many!! As they are true and still work today!! Hope you are well!! xx

 
At May 26, 2011 at 5:32 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

A very lovely post about a very inspiring woman. She was so far ahead of her time, but even women today could learn a lot from her. A true legend in the glamour stakes.

 
At May 26, 2011 at 7:14 AM , Blogger Julie Leah said...

That 'hand on the hip' photo is one of my favorites. What a perfect icon to choose for 'rules of style.' Bravo, Shannon! xo

 
At May 26, 2011 at 2:07 PM , Blogger Valentina said...

Absolut and remarcably wonderfull!!! Your notes inspired me 100% today and gave me food for thoughts for tommorow. XO Valentina

 
At May 27, 2011 at 8:15 AM , Blogger PrepinTX said...

I just love this post! What a strong, feminine woman - a true inspiration.

 
At September 18, 2012 at 11:15 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

two words to say: amazingly inspiring

 
At October 7, 2012 at 12:03 PM , Anonymous La Francaise said...

Ah, La Coco!! I never cease to be amazed when I contemplate this amazing woman, born in 1883, and just how much we women of the 21st century owe her. Among so much else, she gave us the little black dress, palazzo pants, the Breton top, her own inimitable ballet flats, her beautiful quilted leather bags, No.5, and, most importantly, our concept of modern, relaxed elegance and self-assurance. She literally unshackled women from their corseted servitude, and enabled them to be chic players on a level playing field with men. A feminist long before the word entered our vocabulary. Merci, Gabrielle!

 
At November 9, 2012 at 9:53 AM , Anonymous Becky said...

Chanel is so inspiring. I was late to the fashion/lifestyle realm, being raised by a restrictive (and overly pious)father. I've been on a journey of self discovery and the discovery of my love of fashion for the last six years or so. I've been so inspired by Coco Chanel's story and by her amazing outlook on life. I'm still figuring out who I am, and Chanel has helped me realize that whoever I am, or choose to be, I should go with it 100%.

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by The Simply Luxurious Life. Please take this opportunity to share a comment that is either positive, constructive or contributes and elevates the conversation. The Simply Luxurious Life reserves the right to restrict comments that are mean-spirited, contain profanity or personal attacks, or intend merely to promote a personal or unrelated business. All comments are moderated and will not appear until approved by TSLL. Thank you for taking the time to stop by.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home