The Simply Luxurious Life®: This & That: No. 49  

March 12, 2013

This & That: No. 49

Discoveries that made me cheer, cry, swoon and applaud. I’ll let you figure out which. Enjoy.

~Article to Read

1. Nora Ephron’s Final Act by Jacob Bernstein (her son)

This past Sunday in New York Times’ magazine, Nora Ephron’s son wrote a touching, intimate tribute to his mother. Allowing readers to see glimpses into the last days of her life (Ephron passed away last June), heJacob Bernstein speaks with pride, gratitude and understandable, but not unbearable grief as by writing this particular piece he is following her dictum for life “everything is copy”. Young Bernstein shares his mother and grandmother’s understanding of why they chose to be writers, “. . . writing has the power to turn the bad things that happen to you into art”.  And while she couldn’t turn her final days, or desire to turn her final days, into writing, she appears to have remained vigilantly strong in spite of her imminent mortality. Bernstein points out one of the many lessons gleaned from his mother, “The point is that you don’t let fear invade your psyche. Because then you might as well be dead.”

I must admit, I became a little choked up reading “Nora Ephron’s Final Act”. It seems odd for her not to be producing yet another humorous, yet insightful life comedy for the screen or pages of a book. Thankfully, her creations will remain, and her final piece of work Lucky Guy is now playing on Broadway at the Broadhurst theater through June. Something she had been attempting to be produced since 1999.

~Book

2. Paris Street Style by Isabelle Thomas, Frederique Veysset

Released today, French fashion writers Isabelle Thomas and Frederique Veysset share the tips and insights about the Parisian fashion so many have come to love and attempt to emulate in their new book Paris Street Style. Sharing the essential pieces for every woman’s wardrobe, how to make affordable clothing look luxurious, inspiration for creating multi-functional looks as well as accessory incorporation know-how, Thomas and Veysset go about helping all women, no matter where they might live, create a classic, timeless and Parisian chic style of their own.

~Decor

3. French Connection Wooden Tray Table

As I organize my decor idea board for my new studio in the Pearl, I have been trying to create a simple, functional foyer that is also stylish. And that is when I discovered a new way to use a tray table. Placed by the entry, French Connection’s wooden tray table would be perfect for a unique bowl to hold my keys, a medium vase for fresh flowers and propping up a painting perhaps as well as a place to hold my phone. At an affordable price, I think I’ve discovered what I’ve been looking for.

~Music

4. Madeleine Peyroux’s album The Blue Room

A modern day jazz seductress, Madeleine Peyroux’s new album The Blue Room (released March 5, 2013) is full of the sultry blues voice that I originally fell in love with a handful of years ago while searching for Parisian jazz melodies.

On The Blue Room, Peyroux reinterprets songs from Ray Charles, Randy Newman and Leonard Cohen adding her modern touch, yet returning to her quintessential soulful roots.

~Shopping

5. Sam Edelman leopard ‘Alvin’ loafers

Back in January I shared that a pair of smoking slippers (aka chic feminine loafers) had caught my eye. Well, I made the purchase finally, and I am beyond thrilled. For someone who has large feet (size 10), I wasn’t sure if they’d appear too large especially donning a leopard print. But I’m happy to report, they are very slim and feminine and fit beautifully. I look forward to wearing them with black skinny jeans and even black shorts in the summer. And hey, they’re leopard, so denim, white – they will all pair wonderfully.

6. Trina Turk Hialeah Sweater

Trina Turk just announced drastic reductions on her winter and resort collections. The ivory and navy Hialeah sweater would be a lovely wrap top for spring and summer paired with cropped jeans or shorts as the days get warmer.

4 Comments:

At March 12, 2013 at 6:14 AM , Anonymous Julie said...

I've been looking closely and debating a pair of leopard loafers myself. It seems that they would be very versatile in my wardrobe because I treat animal prints almost like neutrals. I have a leopard sweater I bought years ago from J.Crew and it seems to go with everything.

 
At March 12, 2013 at 7:09 AM , Blogger The Simply Luxurious Life said...

Julie, I think you would be very happy with this pair. They are streamlined, not bulky like a typical loafer and the print is classic. My expectations were exceeded with this shoe.

 
At March 12, 2013 at 9:37 AM , Blogger The Croissantnoisseur said...

Thanks so much for sharing the link to the article by Jacob Bernstein. It is beautifully written - a lovely tribute to a wonderful woman.

 
At March 13, 2013 at 7:53 PM , Blogger Lotus said...

Thank you for introducing me to Madeleine Peyroux! I've been rather disgusted by most "music" for quite some time and have been looking for something better. Its been hard to do since everyone around me thinks I'm weird or over sensitive for having a problem with most of the music I hear. I'm glad to have another artist to listen to, since my current list is so very short.

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by The Simply Luxurious Life. Please take this opportunity to share a comment that is either positive, constructive or contributes and elevates the conversation. The Simply Luxurious Life reserves the right to restrict comments that are mean-spirited, contain profanity or personal attacks, or intend merely to promote a personal or unrelated business. All comments are moderated and will not appear until approved by TSLL. Thank you for taking the time to stop by.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home