The Simply Luxurious Life®: This & That: No. 36  

December 4, 2012

This & That: No. 36

Design services to take advantage of, a book I highly recommend for my fellow introverts and a few other favorites I couldn’t wait to share . . .

~Beauty

~Bumble and Bumble Hairdresser’s Invisible Oil

Two months ago, my stylist used Bumble & Bumble’s Hairdresser’s Invisible oil on the ends of my wet hair before styling, and I was beyond impressed as it left my hair soft as silk and eliminated any frizz. Having very fine hair, I was afraid it would weigh my hair down or make it greasy, but I was pleasantly surprised. So long as I only add it to the ends, use only two pumps and apply before blow-drying, the six natural oils do their trick and leave my tresses tamed and shiny.

~Books (REVIEW)

~The Introvert’s Way: Living a Quiet Life in a Noisy World by Sophia Dembling

As a professed introvert, understanding the beauty of being someone who prefers quiet over chaos more often than not has become an interest of mine. And upon writing the post shared this past February about embracing one’s introversion (click here to read), I was pleasantly surprised to discover many fellow introverts.

Upon discovering Sophia Dembling’s new book The Introvert’s Way, I had the fortunate opportunity to review a copy before it became available (released today – Dec. 4th). While similar to Susan Cain’s Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World that Can’t Stop Talking, Dembling book is quite validating (“. . . introverts can perhaps lay claim to high levels of creativity”), but at the same time Dembling, herself an introvert, offers accessible advice on how to interact successfully and create quality relationships with others that may be far more extroverted than we understand.

With chapters titled: What Quiet Says, Introverts are Not Failed Extroverts, Loneliness is a State of Mind and Mistakes Introverts Make, it is authentic based on her own experiences, helpful with its relatable situations that you may have thought you were the only one experiencing and wise on how to deal with those who may not understand. After all, it’s okay if you enjoy your own company more often than not (in fact, it’s a very good thing), and once you understand that this idea that extroversion is better and the American way is all a myth, you too will hopefully breathe a sigh of relief and go about accepting yourself for exactly who you are, being comfortable living in a way that works for you. Needless to say, I highly recommend this book.

~Decor Advice

~Sacramento Street Design Services

Upon reading fellow blogger Caitlin Flemming’s announcement that she just recently left her day job to work full time on her blog and design service business, I couldn’t help but be enthusiastically excited for her gumption and ability to pursue her dreams. With that said, I want to introduce you to her design services.

No matter where you live, Caitlin offers design consultations on lighting, furniture layout, paint colors, window treatments, art, furniture restoration and more. Based in San Francisco I have always been impressed with her contemporary, yet chic modern eye that is soothing and tranquil. So if you are considering redecorating a room in your home and would like to get some personal one-on-one advice, be sure to take a look at her services and send her an email at sacstreet@gmail.com so she can answer your questions directly. Best of luck Caitlin!

~Shopping

~Falke Striggings cable knit cotton-blend tights

In last week’s Why Not . . . ? post, a handful of stylish winter wardrobe ideas were shared. And one such suggestion was to incorporate tights of all textures into your wardrobe to enable you to continue to wear skirts and dresses.  Falke’s cable knit gray tights not only will keep you warm, but while appearing in a neutral tone, make their own subtle statement due to their textures. Pair with a gray dress for a monochromatic look or choose to wear a colorful dress to add a bit of pop.

~Reiss Bridge Fawn Oe fitted v-neck dress (available in cream as well)

Reiss is marking down many of their women’s clothing by 50%, and their Bridge Fawn fitted v-neck dress is one item to consider. Available in a soft winter cream as well, this beautifully tailored dress would work for formal affairs, as well as professional occasions.

~Television

~Scandal created by Shonda Rhimes

Many of you may already enjoy Shonda Rhimes most recent drama on ABC Scandal, but just in case you haven’t heard, it’s worth checking out. Starring Kerry Washington as Olivia Pope who heads a crisis management firm in Washington D.C., she dedicates her nearly every waking hour to softening the images of those involved in the fray of politics. Based on former White House deputy Press Secretary (for President George H. W. Bush) Judy Smith, Smith serves as a consultant for the show. While Washington being the first African American female to be the leading actress in a drama since the 1960s, she is receiving accolades simply because the show is well-written, well-acted and perfect for Thursday night-end-of-the-week de-stressing (10pm). If you’re like me and a fan of the show, be sure to tune into Oprah’s Next Chapter interview with Rhimes, Washington and Smith this coming Sunday, December 9th on OWN (9pm EST) to learn even more insights.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At December 4, 2012 at 1:36 AM , Anonymous Marissa said...

Shannon -- thank you for recommending Sophia's book. I am an introvert too and just recently have learned to embrace it instead of fight it. It feels wonderful! :=)

 
At December 4, 2012 at 6:29 AM , Blogger The Simply Luxurious Life said...

It's freeing isn't? To know that how you enjoy living life is exactly the way you were made to be and that that is a complement to the rest of the world just as much as extroverts positively contribute as well. I think you'll enjoy the book.

 
At December 4, 2012 at 12:53 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Yes, I am going to get my hands on this book as well.

I also want to try the B&B oil. I wonder whether it's better then Moroccan oil. I love B&B's anti-frizz conditioner!

www.azrakunworld.com

 
At December 5, 2012 at 3:44 AM , Blogger barefoot duchess said...

I have been watching scandal on FoxLife and I love it!!

 
At December 5, 2012 at 10:01 AM , Anonymous Leanne Maguire said...

Thank-you for the book review on "The Introvert's Way" I enjoyed Susan Cain's book and even lend it to my friends and funny enough some of them are extroverts and they did gain insight into a quieter way of being :) I can't wait to read Sophia's book. I find that as I get older I don't mind my own company as much and books such as these validate that I'm on the right track for me.

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by The Simply Luxurious Life. Please take this opportunity to share a comment that is either positive, constructive or contributes and elevates the conversation. The Simply Luxurious Life reserves the right to restrict comments that are mean-spirited, contain profanity or personal attacks, or intend merely to promote a personal or unrelated business. All comments are moderated and will not appear until approved by TSLL. Thank you for taking the time to stop by.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home