The Simply Luxurious Life®: This & That: No. 33  

November 13, 2012

This & That: No. 33

The holidays are upon us and Oprah has something she’d like to share with her audience! Yes, believe it or not, she will be airing her Favorite Things of 2012 in just a few days. Also, are your feet begging to be given a break from those heels you adore but kill your feet? I have an article and some ideas you might want to check out . . .

~Article to Read

~French Beauty Tips: 12 French Pharmacy Items We Can’t Live WithoutHiP Paris Blog

While they may keep it simple when it comes to make-up, the French certainly know what to invest in – beauty and skin care. Tory Hoen shares her top 12 favorite finds at local French pharmacies, and while I’ve only tried one of the items on the list (and religiously use) - Klorane oatmeal extract dry shampoo, I am bookmarking this list. The name alone - Roger & Gallet’s rose body lotion sounds luxurious, and I can only imagine what it feels like.

~Power Flats Challenge High Heels - WSJ

Last week, Christina Binkley shared insights into what may be the next new trend in power shoes for women. Appearing in The Wall Street Journal’s “Personal Journal” section, she points out how more than a handful of designers - Stuart Weitzman, Elizabeth & James, Tabitha Simmons, Marc Jacobs (seen in the runway photo above), as well as Giorgio Armani – are sending their models down the runway in flat soles.

Not to be put into the same class as the ballet flat, a heavily structured, often pointed toe flat, some with embellishments – tends to command attention, instead of exuding a soft feminine tone. As many of us know, walking in heels and wearing heels are two entirely different scenarios. And while I doubt high heels will be walking out the door any time soon, it’s nice to know there is a stylish and sophisticated alternative.


~Blog

~Miss Minimalist

A handful of weeks ago, one of my readers mentioned she regularly reads Francine Jay’s blog Miss Minimalist. And while I had heard of it, I wanted to stop by and take some time to peruse exactly what her approach to simplicity was all about. Adhering fervently to a minimalist and purpose driven life, Francine’s ideas and inspirations are worth reading and absorbing. While at times she may suggest something “Naked Windows” that isn’t something I would be able to live without, I understand where she is coming from, and I appreciate her willingness to investigate why we succumb to buying so much stuff when so much of it turns out to be unnecessary. For example, her thoughts on storage - “Storage is not the solution”. I tend to agree. Why do week keep so much stuff stored away if we’re not using it? What’s the point?

Anyway, if you prefer to welcome in more simplicity and less clutter into your life, I have a feeling you will truly appreciate Miss Minimalist. And be sure to take a look at her most recently released book - The Joy of Less, A Minimalist Living Guide.

~Holidays

~Oprah’s Favorite Things 2012

I don’t know about you, but I miss Oprah’s regular talk show. I realize she has her own network, and I have watched some wonderful interviews since she retired her original talk show, but still, she is missed. And while she isn’t coming back, she is providing her devoted followers with the much loved annual Oprah’s Favorite Things this Sunday November 18th at 8pm on her OWN challenge (189 for Dish customers).

With an audience of military spouses, Oprah shares the love of her favorite, hand-picked items and takes viewers behind the scenes to reveal how the gathering of the goods all came together. Have a peek here, and begin to get into the holiday spirit!

~Music

~Diana Krall

For me, Diana Krall’s sultry, retro vocals always help me to calm down and unwind. She recently released her newest album Glad Rag Doll (2012), which as received positive reviews, but it is her The Very Best of Diana Krall (2007) album that I can’t help but love. “‘S Wonderful”, “Fly Me to the Moon”, “I’ve Got You Under My Skin” are just a few of my favorites from this particular album. Pair with a delicious glass of wine, a crackling fire and the evening is perfectly styled and arranged for a tranquil experience.

~Shopping

~Bloch leopard velvet-flocked suede ballet flats

In homage to the Wall Street Journal’s article about the new incoming trend of power flats, I discovered a handful of beautiful styles from Bloch on Net-a-Porter that are quite reasonably priced ($130) and offer a rich, yet strong appearance to wear with jeans, trousers or maybe even a dress or skirt.

6 Comments:

At November 13, 2012 at 4:39 AM , Blogger Michelle Knight said...

Just so you know, if ever you find yourself in Montreal, all those French pharmacy items are easily available.

 
At November 13, 2012 at 6:36 AM , Blogger The Simply Luxurious Life said...

Good to know! Thank you for sharing this information. :)

 
At November 13, 2012 at 8:43 AM , Blogger Ana Viana said...

Hi! I'm from Portugal and I must say your blog is one of the most complet and adicted blogs I ever read and follow. Love everything you write! Keep doing the good job!

My blog is encostadanaalmofada@blogspot.com in case you want to take a look. {Its in portuguese but you can translate}

Kiss kiss

Ana

 
At November 13, 2012 at 11:30 AM , Anonymous Erica- HiP Paris said...

Thank you so much for including our French beauty tips on your blog Shannon. Your blog is always a pleasure. Happy Monday!

 
At November 13, 2012 at 6:45 PM , Anonymous Stephanie said...

I just have to say that I just discovered Bloch flats...there is a store in a trendy toronto neighbourhood that is carrying some of the line and I think they are fabulous!! I bought a nude/beige pair even though I won't really be wearing until the spring...I couldn't resist! This is one pair of flats that looks beautiful, are all leather and made with alot of cushy support. I was very impressed and thought the design was elegant and feminine (I adore the bows on the pair I purchased)...I'm way more in love with these than the way over-priced Tory Burch's with the gaudy logos (which thankfully I've never purchased). At $155 (CDN) it was money well spent and I'm now the proud owner of a nude/beige pair. I will certainly be coming back in the spring to see what other styles they have!

 
At November 17, 2012 at 11:16 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello from Norway. I just L.O.V.E you Blog, keep up the good work!!!

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by The Simply Luxurious Life. Please take this opportunity to share a comment that is either positive, constructive or contributes and elevates the conversation. The Simply Luxurious Life reserves the right to restrict comments that are mean-spirited, contain profanity or personal attacks, or intend merely to promote a personal or unrelated business. All comments are moderated and will not appear until approved by TSLL. Thank you for taking the time to stop by.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home