The Simply Luxurious Life®: What I’ve Learned So Far . . .  

September 6, 2011

What I’ve Learned So Far . . .

As the founder of The Simply Luxurious Life blog, I have learned far more than I could have ever fathomed with regards to the new and ever changing world of social media.  To my readers, those who have been reading since the beginning and those who have just introduced themselves, I am so grateful for your support, your willingness to share this blog with friends and for traveling with me on this journey that genuinely is a dream that I wasn’t quite certain would ever materialize.

Normally, on the first day of the work week I share with you an inspirational post; however, today it will be slightly different (rest assured, next Monday I will be back on schedule).

Today, I’d like to say hello again and allow us to meet face-to-face this time.  Quite some time ago I set a handful of goals in place regarding my blog and writing career and today is one of those goals realized.  Being a writer it’s easy to hide behind your words, but I’ve always felt it was important to reassure my readers that I am someone who practices what I preach as I try to maintain a simply luxurious life with regards to style, attitude, money and overall approach to living. 

While an image can only say so much, it still reveals quite a bit, and today, I’d like to introduce myself once again.

While on the look-out for a photographer who understood my blog’s premise and embodied high quality talent and professionalism, one of my readers, Tara Jones, caught my attention.  After quite a few months, it became evident that she was more than capable of handling the photo shoot I had in mind.

Flare Productions, run solely by Tara, is a photography business located in Santa Barbara but which also takes her across the country capturing weddings, business landscapes, profile portfolio, families, and anything in between.  Being trained at the highly respected Brooks Institute, Tara is a consummates professional that immediately caused me to be at ease while she adapted to the bustling afternoon rush hour in Portland, Oregon, on a Friday in early August this past month (at one point she was standing in the middle of the road amongst stagnate traffic in order to acquire a particular shot).

When it comes to women (and men as well) who muster up the courage to follow their passions and take a worthwhile risk, Tara’s hard work which is leading to an already very successful career, is absolutely inspiring and encouraging. I can’t thank Tara enough for the positive experience I had during this photo shoot in Portland.  It was a memory creating in large part because of the blog and the support of my readers that I will never forget.

Here are a few of the many lessons that I have learned since I founded The Simply Luxurious Life nearly two years ago:

What I’ve Learned So Far . . .

1. Possibilities are endless if you’re willing to try.

2. Inspiration is everywhere just waiting to be discovered.

3. Writing and having the fortunate opportunity to share it with others is what feeds my soul.

4. Always remain curious.  It never hurts to ask.

5. For the many new people I have had the pleasure and privilege of meeting, thank you for reaching out. I feel very fortunate.

6. Stand tall in your stilettos, ballet flats or boots, whatever you choose to wear because as long as you keep persevering, the answers do come.

7.  Above all, have respect for yourself first – your feelings, your passions, your thoughts, your body, your life.

8. Pay the kindness that has been given to you forward so that it multiplies.

9. Always keep a little mystery.

10. Read, read and read some more. An educated mind gives you a leg up and reduces unnecessary worry and fear.

11. Always do your best without being asked.

12.  A good sense of style is one of the keys to success in life, love and business.

13. Nothing worth having ever came easy or quickly.

14. Know thyself.

15. Be willing to fully immerse yourself in whatever emotion you’re feeling and then let go and move on completely.  Don’t dwell – move forward.

16. Have the courage to pursue your dreams, even if no one understands or supports you. In the end you’ll realize who loves you because of who you are or because of who they wanted you to be, and in that case be thankful for the former and forget the latter. 

Thank you so much for stopping by to taste a bit of the simply luxurious life. Have a beautiful Tuesday.

All images via Flare Productions – photographer Tara Jones, makeup by Elizabeth from Bobbi Brown cosmetics

{Receive additional simply luxurious ideas and inspiration by subscribing to the weekly newsletter. Click here to view a past issue and simply sign up by entering your first name and email address in the middle column to the right on the homepage of The Simply Luxurious Life blog. Each issue arrives promptly in your inbox early Friday morning or late Thursday evening depending on where you live.}

{Have a Twitter account and want inspiration throughout the day as well as being notified of the most recent posts on The Simply Luxurious Life? Follow me here @simplyluxurious. }

32 Comments:

At September 6, 2011 at 1:41 AM , Blogger mosaicology said...

this is wonderful.thank you.

 
At September 6, 2011 at 1:48 AM , Blogger RealBeauty said...

I am so inspired by this beautiful posting. I am going through a really hard time right now and the following two insights you posted truly help. Thank you.

7. Above all, have respect for yourself first – your feelings, your passions, your thoughts, your body, your life.

15. Be willing to fully immerse yourself in whatever emotion you’re feeling and then let go and move on completely. Don’t dwell – move forward.

http://realbeauty-realbeauty.blogspot.com/

 
At September 6, 2011 at 2:33 AM , Blogger Yelena Starikova said...

Shannon~ You are Beautiful! Such a Pretty pictures!
One of the best qualities about you is that you open up your heart 200% and this is quite Amazing! I wish you all the Success! You work really hard and you deserve it!

Kisses,
Yelena

 
At September 6, 2011 at 3:29 AM , Blogger ADW said...

Very nice to meet you!! I love your blog!

Keep going like this, kisses

ADW
http://alldaywear.blogspot.com/

 
At September 6, 2011 at 4:11 AM , Blogger Stephanie said...

Shannon you look sooooo beautiful! I'm loving your hair and the heels you have on in the pictures. This post is so inspiring and even though it's not the regular Monday post, i love it!

xo Stephanie
adailydoseofcashmere.blogspot.com

 
At September 6, 2011 at 4:30 AM , Blogger Ana Trigo said...

Wow Shannon you look so much beautiful! Really impressive! Congratulations!

 
At September 6, 2011 at 4:47 AM , Blogger Ma'mie and Lola said...

I'm a fairly new reader, but I love your blog and truly enjoyed meeting you this morning. Keep up the wonderful work. Your Blog + Coffee = my morning wake-up call!

 
At September 6, 2011 at 5:01 AM , Blogger Julianne said...

Wow, a beautiful lady to go with her beautiful blog. You blog brings joy to me every day. Thank you!

 
At September 6, 2011 at 6:05 AM , Blogger Shannon Ables said...

To everyone - your compliments are so kind and generous. I can't thank you all enough for your support and readership. Thank you very, very much. xoxo

 
At September 6, 2011 at 6:36 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Long-time reader, first-time commenter. I simply love your blog, I can honestly say it is one of the very few I HAVE to read every single day. Keep it up!

 
At September 6, 2011 at 7:27 AM , Blogger Talia said...

Shannon,

It is so nice to "meet" you! You are lovely! Just wanted you to know I simply LOVE your blog. It is the first thing I do every morning -- visit with you!

Thank you for sharing your life and your lessons with us.

Hugs!

 
At September 6, 2011 at 8:25 AM , Anonymous thehealthyapron said...

gorgeous shots! Seriously looks like you are a model in a magazine!

 
At September 6, 2011 at 10:36 AM , Blogger ldelangel said...

Wow, I've been wanting to "meet" you for such a long time. :) Thank you for sharing with us today!

 
At September 6, 2011 at 11:33 AM , Blogger Marline said...

And you claim you weren't sharing your typical Monday morning "inspirational post"...silly girl! Your style and spirit shine through these lovely shots. Thanks for coming out from behind the words and showing your readers just how beautiful we always knew you were!
Love, Kay
www.moviestarmakeover.blogspot.com

 
At September 6, 2011 at 11:54 AM , Anonymous Tara Jones said...

Fabulous blog post (if I do say so:) So inspiring! You look fabulous!!!

 
At September 6, 2011 at 12:18 PM , Blogger Cindy said...

I'm new to your blog and it has quickly turned into a daily must-read for me. Living simply & luxuriously sounds perfect to me! So nice to meet you...

Cindy

 
At September 6, 2011 at 3:08 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely pictures of a lovey woman! Thank you for sharing yourself with us.

 
At September 6, 2011 at 6:31 PM , Blogger DEva Weddings said...

Dear Shannon, you are as beautiful on the outside as you are on the inside!! Such gorgeous images that capture the essence of simply luxurious moments (the black & white image of you at the cafe is my fave!). It's no secret that you have become one of my biggest inspirations (I tell as many people as I can about your blog!), and it so lovely to see the wise woman behind the wise words :) Thank you for sharing your words, wisdom and heart with your readers. xoxoxoxo

 
At September 6, 2011 at 8:09 PM , Blogger Jenn said...

I've learned so much from you and your blog. It's a pleasure to put a face with all the inspiration! You are beautiful...inside and out. Thanks for sharing yourself with us.

 
At September 6, 2011 at 8:37 PM , Anonymous victoria said...

Shannon, this post is beautiful. And so inspiring. I have been blogging for slightly over and year as an outlet to express what I love & dream about as my vacation is so uninspriing. What you have learnt list is so motivating & I am printing it out as we speak to pin on my inspiration board. Thank you again for inspiring me even more. xx

being chic. (formerly Patisserie Coeur)
www.fromvictoriawithlove.blogspot.com

 
At September 7, 2011 at 6:56 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is really wonderful. I love your blog and your photos are really lovely. Nice to put a face with all of the wonderful content of your blog. Thank you so much!! Valorie

 
At September 7, 2011 at 7:59 AM , Anonymous Monteen said...

INDEED---What a nice thing to do..loved the gorgeous pictures..Now when I read the TSLL I'll connect even better because of seeing your beautiful face...thanks...

 
At September 7, 2011 at 9:51 AM , Blogger Cris said...

You are sooooo beautiful. And I love your blog...it have helped me many times to put things in perspective.
Thank you so much

 
At September 7, 2011 at 11:04 AM , Blogger Vannessa@Luxuria said...

I think I've been following you from quite early on in your blog journey, and it's so lovely to put a face to the wonderfully inspiring words I often get lost in. Congrats Shannon on your inspirational blog and lovely pictures xx

 
At September 8, 2011 at 2:30 PM , Blogger Autumn W said...

Dear Shannon,

Thanks for putting a face to the name! I love stopping by your blog as I find so many of your views and opinions echo mine, but you are much more eloquent at putting those thoughts in print. I've been following you for a number of years now, and always enjoy the beautiful pictures that go along with your beautiful words.

 
At September 8, 2011 at 7:17 PM , Blogger Carrie said...

Shannon, your photoshoot turned out fab, you look beautiful. It is also nice to put a face behind all your work. As always, I enjoy every post you write and truly treasure the time and effort you put into this blog. Thank you for all you do :)
xoxo Carrie

 
At September 9, 2011 at 2:01 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fantastic photographs and it is really lovely to "meet" you.
I too hide behind my words, my pics may be up but most are headless! I'm very comfortable writing in my little room but not so much with being on show, with blogging there has to be a balance really other wise the process doesn't really work, it's such a different medium from print journalism.

 
At September 9, 2011 at 11:43 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhh Thank you! It is so nice to see you. I have been chatting with you for some time and I am thrilled to meet you. You are very beautiful. Not surprising as your gorgeous words inspire us daily. xo Mish

 
At September 9, 2011 at 5:10 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful photographs, so nice to finally put a (beautiful) face on the 'Inspiration Queen'. You brighten so many of my days!

 
At September 10, 2011 at 7:54 AM , Anonymous Aisling Greally said...

Shannon, Bonjour, Hello!

Wow you look so stunning and wonderful to see the stylish lady behind the blog. You are a true to the spirit of the simply luxurious life - that makes it all so iconic.

I wish you continued success and many thanks for keeping me inspired with all the wonderful posts.

Aisling (in Paris)

 
At September 10, 2011 at 4:31 PM , Blogger LPC said...

Nice to meet you! It's tough, putting up those first photos. You look great.

 
At December 26, 2011 at 9:46 AM , Blogger TaTs said...

I love your blog... Huge fan!!! besos form Mexico City!

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by The Simply Luxurious Life. Please take this opportunity to share a comment that is either positive, constructive or contributes and elevates the conversation. The Simply Luxurious Life reserves the right to restrict comments that are mean-spirited, contain profanity or personal attacks, or intend merely to promote a personal or unrelated business. All comments are moderated and will not appear until approved by TSLL. Thank you for taking the time to stop by.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home