The Simply Luxurious Life®: How to Avoid Spending Temptations  

May 26, 2011

How to Avoid Spending Temptations

Last weekend I found myself watching the film Confessions of a Shopaholic and began to contemplate ideas on how each one of us can take control of those moments when it seems the shoes are far too fabulous to pass up or those particular pair of jeans fit much too well to not take home this instant.

It is more than encouraged to stock your closet with quality basics, classics and fabulous clothing, but when we know that our budgets are tight for any given reason, how can we be the responsible adult we know we are and just walk away? 

As a way of helping out when just such occasions arise, today I’ve gathered together a list of 12 ways to remain resolute in our goal to remain financially secure. Please do share what has worked successfully for you as I know I have just scratched the surface.

1. Don’t carry credit cards all of the time

2. Place savings in an account that is not directly linked to your checking

3. Carry cash to the grocery store.

4. Always bring a list

5. Don’t go shopping if you don’t have something in mind to buy

6. Sleep on it. Wait a full 24 hours before deciding on major purchases

7. Avoid shopping with fellow spendaholics

8. Pay your bills first and see what you have left over

9. Identify the purpose for your purchase.  If you think you might need it sometime, wait.

10. Stop unwanted catalogs from arriving in your mailbox. Click here to find out how to take your mailing address off the list.

11. Stop credit card offers from reaching your mailbox. Click here to find out how.

12. Create a budget and enter your expenditures every day or at least weekly to know exactly where you are throughout the month.

Image: IZAK

Labels:

8 Comments:

At May 26, 2011 at 7:28 PM , Blogger Carrie said...

Great list Shannon and perfect timing as I am evaluating my finances as I type.
Have a fab holiday weekend.
xoxo Carrie

 
At May 26, 2011 at 7:41 PM , Blogger The enchanted home said...

Might I also add one thing to your fantastic list? Use only a debit card (no credit card if possible) that way you are essentially only using "real money" you actually have not borrowed money. I tend to use pretty much my debit for almost everything, very little on credit. Its a great way to stay on budget.

 
At May 27, 2011 at 7:24 AM , Blogger Mama Pea said...

I use Rule #6 all the time and find it to be very effective. In fact, I wait even longer depending on the price of the item - the more expensive, the longer I make myself wait so I can know if I truly want/need it (if I don't - I forget I even saw it).

 
At May 27, 2011 at 7:44 AM , Blogger Belle de Ville said...

This is a great list!
Can I add that when you do shop, spend on things that have lasting value, that you will be wearing 10-20 years later.

 
At May 27, 2011 at 2:51 PM , Blogger Nesie said...

Good Tips!

I absolutely hate how big retailers (like department stores) offer a credit card affilited with their brand. It is a part of the whole impulse buy philosophy. Plus they guilt trip you and treat you like an idiot for not signing up for their credit card that will save you 10% on one purchase but charge an obnoxious interest rate.

 
At May 28, 2011 at 5:45 PM , Blogger lexi920 said...

Thanks for the list - it's common knowledge but good to read and face the awful truth!

 
At May 28, 2011 at 10:26 PM , Blogger Lilian Harlow said...

As always, truly invaluable advice!

http://dearlybeloveddiary.blogspot.com/

 
At May 24, 2013 at 2:49 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh I know this problem so well! I think I have my shopping under control. I think I ma sensible and only buy what really brigs added value to my wardrobe... but it is that very conviction that 'endorses' my purchases! The perfect navy blazer? 'Twould be foolish to say no! And on it goes.

My solution, and the only one that truly works for me, is to just steer clear. Firstly, to break the cycle and secondly, because I seldom seldom resist temptation!

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by The Simply Luxurious Life. Please take this opportunity to share a comment that is either positive, constructive or contributes and elevates the conversation. The Simply Luxurious Life reserves the right to restrict comments that are mean-spirited, contain profanity or personal attacks, or intend merely to promote a personal or unrelated business. All comments are moderated and will not appear until approved by TSLL. Thank you for taking the time to stop by.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home