The Simply Luxurious Life®: 83rd Academy Awards Red Carpet  

February 27, 2011

83rd Academy Awards Red Carpet

Subdued, calm, respectful.  As the New York Times coined it – a “plain jane” red carpet.  And while yes, it was a very toned down Oscars Red Carpet, I found it quite respectful and appreciated the subtle touches of glamour.  There were a handful of favorites on my list, and it seemed as they each stepped out of their car, I was captivated, eager to see exactly who made the dress and what it looked like from head to toe.

While there weren’t a lot of risks taken tonight, another way one might critique it was that the women knew how to dress (or their stylists knew how to adorn them), so that they stood out instead of just the dress doing the talking. Gwyneth Paltrow has to be at the top of my list. To watch her Calvin Klein Collection dress move was enamoring and to wear it, from the audience’s vantage point, looked like it would be wearing silk-like gold, moving with your body with ease.  However, there were many stunning gowns.  Mandy Moore’s dress looked gorgeous on camera and the sheer fabric on her neckline was a beautiful facade (the image below doesn’t do it justice.) Below are ones that I’d like to share. I’d be curious to know what you thought.

Gwyneth Paltrow – Calvin Klein

 

Mandy Moore – Monique Lhuillier

(To see this dress on the runway, Monique Lhuillier Spring 2011 click here.)

 

Anne Hathaway – Valentino

 

Michelle Williams – Chanel

 

Jennifer Lawrence – Calvin Klein

 

Cate Blanchett – Givenchy

 

Mila Kunis – Elie Saab

(To see this look on the runway – Spring 2011 Haute Couture, click here.)

 

Jennifer Hudson - Versace

 

Halle Barry – Marchesa

 

Sandra Bullock – Vera Wang

 

Celine Dion - Giorgio Armani Prive

 

Reese Witherspoon – Giorgio Armani Prive

 

Hilary Swank – Gucci 

All images – People or InStyle

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

At February 27, 2011 at 9:32 PM , Blogger sapphirewhisper said...

My favorite was Mila Kunis and as always Halle Berry was absolutley stunning!

 
At February 28, 2011 at 12:46 AM , Blogger Vannessa@Luxuria said...

My favs were Halle Berry, Hilary Swank and Reese Witherspoon (in that order). Funnily enough Michelle Williams was heavily criticised in the UK press for her choice. They said she looked too "ordinary" verging on the "scruffy". I don't agree with the "scruffy" tag, but didn't feel she "stood out". I felt she looked a little washed out (but that's just my humble opinion).

 
At February 28, 2011 at 1:09 AM , Blogger Nanne said...

Anne Hathaway looks like a dream in that red dress! My least favourite one has to be Michelle Williams, I don't think that the dress favours her.

 
At February 28, 2011 at 3:59 AM , Blogger The enchanted home said...

Mila Kunis's gown was my top....then Halle Barry and Anne Hathaway, not sure about Gwenyths dress, jury is still out though it looked like a comfortable dress to wear. Hated Jennifer Hudsons dress, did not like Reese's dress, Mandy Moore looked great....it was nice to see a nod to old fashioned glamour, yes Micelle Williams was pared down and got a bit criticized but thats her style....it didnt' bother me nor did it wow me. I also thought Haley I forgot her last name from True Grit looked great and another disaster for me was Nicole Kidman...what was she wearing??

 
At February 28, 2011 at 7:52 AM , Blogger ShameOnPretzel said...

I am SO in love with Reese Witherspoon's hair and dress.
XD

 
At March 14, 2012 at 10:36 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mandy Moore of course, my No. 1.

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by The Simply Luxurious Life. Please take this opportunity to share a comment that is either positive, constructive or contributes and elevates the conversation. The Simply Luxurious Life reserves the right to restrict comments that are mean-spirited, contain profanity or personal attacks, or intend merely to promote a personal or unrelated business. All comments are moderated and will not appear until approved by TSLL. Thank you for taking the time to stop by.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home