The Simply Luxurious Life®: Basil, Tomato and Mozzarella Bruschetta  

June 4, 2010

Basil, Tomato and Mozzarella Bruschetta


A warm baguette. A glass of wine waiting. The need to put the week to bed.

One of my favorite treats to enjoy at the end of a busy work week is bruschetta topped with the classic combination of basil, tomato and mozzarella. Few ingredients, little effort and time, and an amazingly delicious appetizer.  There are seemingly endless variations of this combo, but for me I like a little bread, warm, gooey cheese, a fresh tomato and the beautiful taste of basil - comfort food my friends!

Paired with a chilled glass of rose (or your choice of wine), and I have forgotten all about my past week’s woes.

Ingredients:

*French baguette – sliced on the bias
*tomatoes – your choice, heirlooms are my favorite, the fresher and in season the better
*fresh mozzarella – sliced
*extra virgin olive oil
*basil leaves - julienne sliced
*top quality balsamic vinegar (I use Gianni's Traditional Balsamic Vinegar - click here to shop)

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to broil.
2. Slice baguette, placing slices on a baking sheet/jelly roll pan. Drizzle EVOO over each slice.  Place a slice of mozzarella on each.
3. Place baking sheet in the oven and watch carefully.  It will take between 2-4 minutes.  Remove when cheese has melted and is slightly bubbly and baguette is toasted.
4. Place one leaf of basil on top of the warm mozzarella, followed by a slice of tomato, and drizzle with thick balsamic vinegar (if you have store-bought vinegar that is very transparent, reduce it over medium heat to thicken up the consistency and improve the flavor).  Voila!



Image:   Instagram Simply Luxurious  video - Simplyluxurious on Vine

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

At June 4, 2010 at 9:58 AM , Blogger Barbara von Enger said...

I love tomatoes and mozzarella, but without the bread. I make it as a summer salad. Very yummy, yum, yum;:-)

 
At June 4, 2010 at 9:58 AM , Blogger Mary @Delightful Bitefuls said...

Oo, love this :) Brushetta is a definitely a favorite in my books... and being married to an Italian we are all about the tomato and mozzarella ;)

xxMK
Delightful Bitefuls

 
At June 4, 2010 at 10:00 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

YUM! - i make this allllll summer long! - i use all my Dad's garden tomatoes and basil - and it's sooooo fresh and yummy! - then i always use bread from lil bakery's in Staten Island - SOOOOO good .. i want some NOW!

*Happy Weekend*
Erika
~Tiptoe Butterfly~

 
At June 4, 2010 at 10:50 AM , Blogger Deepali Kalia Interior Design Blog Filling Spaces said...

Yumm yummm...
Thanks for your sweet comment,Yes, it's pouring here I am so ready for sunshine!!!

 
At June 4, 2010 at 3:45 PM , Blogger Pauline Wiles said...

Ooh, yes please - classy comfort food!

 
At June 5, 2010 at 3:07 AM , Blogger Taty said...

Delicious! As an Italian I really appreciate bruschetta!

 
At June 5, 2010 at 7:23 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hm... yummy! ^^ Have a lovely weekend!

xoxo Sandra
http://glamirrorous.com

 
At June 12, 2013 at 1:07 PM , Anonymous Emily White said...

A friend of mine once shared me a similar recipe and I have to say I was amazed how yummy the food was when I tried it. This goes to my Stumbleupon. More people should know how to make it! Hope my husband repairs the duct in the kitchen sooner, cause I when I cook, the whole house starts smelling like food.

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by The Simply Luxurious Life. Please take this opportunity to share a comment that is either positive, constructive or contributes and elevates the conversation. The Simply Luxurious Life reserves the right to restrict comments that are mean-spirited, contain profanity or personal attacks, or intend merely to promote a personal or unrelated business. All comments are moderated and will not appear until approved by TSLL. Thank you for taking the time to stop by.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home