The Necessary Ingredient in Luxury - Comfort
painting of Coco Chanel by artist Marion Pike
“Luxury must be comfortable, otherwise it is not luxury.” – Coco Chanel
One hundred and thirty years ago today (August 19) Gabrielle ‘Coco’ Chanel was born, and it is her quote shared above about luxury that has always lingered in the back of my mind when deciding what truly is luxurious and what is not.
After all, owning multiple homes and having endless amounts of money may indeed be someone’s definition of luxury, but it is how one spends the money and spends their time that determines whether or not it is a luxurious life or not.
Case in point, it is the decisions we make with the small or large amounts of money we have and most importantly with the time we have that determine whether we live a luxurious life or not.
For example, the National Endowment for Financial Education reports that 70% of people who come into a windfall of money go broke within a few years. Whether it is poor money management or not having or establishing healthy relationships with friends and family, the pressures and lack of knowledge of how to handle the wealth ultimately destroy any opportunity of luxury the money originally presented.
However, that does leave 30% who have managed successfully their new inheritance. Needless to say, more money doesn’t make you happier or more comfortable; it is how one goes about living life – big and everyday decisions, self-discipline, etc – that determine whether a life is full of luxury and contentment or not.
Below are a few mislabeled luxurious ways of living followed by actual sources of luxury, both which keep in mind the definition of luxury uttered by Coco Chanel.
10 Things that cause Stress/Discontentment/Unhappiness and are Disguised As Luxury
1. Working endlessly at an unfulfilling job to simply earn the big paycheck to pay for all of your ‘luxurious’ purchases and lifestyle.
2. Shoes you can’t walk in
3. A home that has upkeep that never allows you to enjoy its supposed riches
4. Hershey’s Kisses (or any other delicious processed food) – seemingly delicious, but never satiating, which leads to overeating, which leads to a bad mood and more
5. Purchasing anything that puts you in debt unnecessarily only to provoke sleepless nights
6. Purchasing cheap travel tickets only to endure many stops and middle seat assignments
7. Living a life that only looks good on the outside
8. Saying yes to something you don’t want/believe in/value/have time to do, in order to please someone else
9. Living a busy life which leads to short, restless nights as you attempt to accommodate your demanding schedule
10. More food, larger portions
10 Things that Epitomize Luxury as they have the Ingredient of Comfort
1. Time to do with as you please
2. Living in a clean, safe, welcoming home that has just enough space
3. Quality designer clothing that feels as good as it looks and will last for many seasons
4. Traveling non-stop flights and paying for your ideal preferred seat.
5. An uninterrupted night’s sleep (happy conscious, productive day, well-balanced schedule)
6. Enjoying one dark chocolate truffle or piece of chocolate from a local chocolatier or homemade in your kitchen
7. Adhering to an eating regimen of moderation, not limitation.
8. The voice and freedom to say no.
9. Being able to purchase quality clothing/shoes/accessories without going into debt and feeling physically and mentally fabulous when you’re wearing them.
10. Living a life that is fulfilling and authentic despite those who don’t understand or refuse to understand
As you can see living a luxurious life doesn’t require ample amounts of money, but what it does require is good decision making, a never-ending quest for knowledge and the ability to live authentically and not to be led around by the nose.
Have a wonderful Monday everyone and may your week be full of many genuine luxurious activities and moments.
~SIMILAR POSTS FROM THE ARCHIVES YOU MIGHT ENJOY:
~Happy Birthday Coco Chanel (2011)
~Join the discussion! What lifestyle habits do you enjoy that perhaps don’t look on the outside to be luxurious, but indeed are more luxurious than imagined? Feel free to comment below or share on Facebook.