The Simply Luxurious Life®: 33 Lessons Learned  

February 28, 2012

33 Lessons Learned



February 28th is my birthday. And I am 33. And if 33 is anything like 32, I will feel beyond fortunate.
What I love about this journey we are all on called life is that there are endless lessons to be learned, and while I revel in finally having had learned some significant ones in my first thirty-three years, I know there are many more ahead just waiting to treat me to what they have to offer.

In September of this past year, I shared with you 26 Things I Know For Sure, but in the six months that have passed since, I have learned a few more lessons that I would like to share.

It’s funny, you know. For quite some time it can seem like nothing is going to work out, as though you are heading up against an insurmountable headwind, and then all of a sudden the winds die down to reveal amazing pearls that up until that point were in the process of being shaped, molded and polished, waiting for just the right moment to reveal themselves. So is life, no?

Below are 33 lessons I have learned:

1. Just because everyone else is doing it doesn’t mean I’m supposed to as well.

2. Place your desk to face a window or looking out into the office rather than to face a wall.

3. Amazing things can happen when you least expect them.

4. Respecting yourself and your path will draw others near you who value similar priorities.

5. When time doesn’t matter, you know you’ve found your passion, a good friend, or a partner (as long as the feeling is mutual).

6. DVR saves so much time – commercials? What are those?

7. Dream big.

8. Do the work now, even if the reward doesn’t come when you expected it would because when the opportunity eventually does presents itself, you’ll be able to pounce because you were prepared.

9. Being a doggie mama is a very important responsibility. I don’t know what I’d do without my boys – Norman and Oscar.

10. Becoming organized is a tried and true method toward alleviating stress and being more productive.

11. Letting go is not easy, but in doing so, the weight of that stress being lifting is very liberating.

12. Sometimes mothers do know best.

13. Financial security and being able to stand on your own two feet fiscally is a very empowering feeling.

14. Yes, anything is possible!

15. Walking every day is a simple and an effective form of exercise if adhered to consistently.

16. A decadent chocolate truffle before bed is a fabulous treat.

17. Feeling confident in the clothes you are wearing is a magnet for opportunities and respect if handled correctly.

18. Creating a sanctuary for yourself – whether it is an office or room in your home, or choosing to live by yourself – is a very necessary thing in order to remain balanced and focused.

19. Consignment clothes shopping – fabulous treasures await your discovery!

20. A good night sleep is priceless medicine.

21. A good blow-out is a simple way to treat yourself.

22. Always remain curious – buy that book, take that tour, watch that movie, hop on that plane.

23. Real life can be better than fairy tales . . . trust me.

24. Good friends are rare . . . nurture them, respect them, but don’t smother them.

25. Sequin tops . . . a great way to shine during the day and into the evening.

26. Create rituals for yourself and with those you love spending time with. Protect them and revel in those special moments.

27. Boundaries. Know where yours are and demand that others respect them.

28. Giving is so much better than receiving.

29. If it’s meant to be and you keep doing what needs to be done, it will find a way.

30. Less television is okay, but watching it to relax is okay too.

31. The coldest nights often come before the most beautiful spring sunrises.

32. Lead by example. Less talk. More doing.

33. It’s the every day moments when something is done “just because” that often are the most memorable.
Images: (1) Pinterest 

28 Comments:

At February 28, 2012 at 1:45 AM , Blogger VM Creation Atelier said...

HAPPY,HAPPY BIRTHDAY,dear Shannon:-)))*

May your day being simly stunning,full of surprises and very pretty things!!!

I found your lessons are so good,really good!

''Amazing things can happen when you least expect them''...

I do enjoy all your posts everytime:-)*
Thank you so much!
My mostly warm wishes to you,

Hugs,
***Violetta***

 
At February 28, 2012 at 3:16 AM , Anonymous Gabriella said...

Happy birthday! Your blog has been such a source for inspiration... Thank you for that gift. I hope you have an amazing day and an even more fabulous year.

 
At February 28, 2012 at 3:17 AM , Blogger Stephanie said...

Happy Birthday Shannon. Hope you have a lovely day and wish you many more years to come :)

xo Stephanie

 
At February 28, 2012 at 4:29 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Happy Birthday!!! I hope you have your best year yet. I come to your blog everyday and I love all of the positive and inspiring pictures and messages. Thank for creating this blog, it's a wonderful gift to all your followers.

 
At February 28, 2012 at 4:52 AM , Blogger SoJo said...

Happy Birthday Miss 33 year old!!!! I hope you have a fabulous and blessed 33rd year. thank you for your inspiration and encouragement through your posts.

 
At February 28, 2012 at 5:16 AM , Anonymous Linda C. said...

Happy Birthday!
So wise and still so young. Thank you for everything.

 
At February 28, 2012 at 5:16 AM , Blogger Talia said...

Happy Birthday! May you have many happy and healthy returns of the day. You are a treasure and I always leave your blog feeling happy and better about life!

Cheers to you and your day!

 
At February 28, 2012 at 5:33 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Enjoy every moment of your special day. You always seem to share wisdom beyond your years. Cheers!

 
At February 28, 2012 at 7:20 AM , Blogger The Simply Luxurious Life said...

Thank you everyone for the warm and lovely birthday wishes. :)

 
At February 28, 2012 at 7:45 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love these! So true!
Happy Birthday!

 
At February 28, 2012 at 8:18 AM , Anonymous Leanne Maguire said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SHANNON!!
I hope this day brings much happiness as you have brought to us your readers, for you most certainly deserve a great day :))
Wishing you all the best.

 
At February 28, 2012 at 8:55 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!
This is probably the best moment to express my gratitude toward you for the inspiration that reaches us every day through your posts! Thank you very much - your thoughts are really empowering.
Wishing you a fabulous birthday and all the best for the future,
Elena

 
At February 28, 2012 at 9:34 AM , Anonymous Ashley Laurel said...

Happy Birthday! I've been absolutely in love with your blog lately and have been sharing posts with friends and pinning pretty images (daily at this point). Thanks for all of your great insights about how to improve my lifestyle. Your thoughts are truly inspiring.

 
At February 28, 2012 at 10:21 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful! Thank you! Wish you the happiest year ever! ;-)

Megs

 
At February 28, 2012 at 10:55 AM , Blogger Vannessa@Luxuria said...

Happy Birthday, and love your list ;-)

 
At February 28, 2012 at 11:22 AM , Blogger Lorrie said...

Happy Birthday! I hope your year of being 33 is full of wonderful surprises and fulfilled dreams. Your blog is an inspiration.

 
At February 28, 2012 at 12:53 PM , Blogger msmalena said...

happy bday!
i'm 15 years younger, but your words already help me to come to terms with almost everything, thanks

 
At February 28, 2012 at 2:47 PM , Blogger Michelle Bousfield said...

I absolutely love every single post. Happy Birthday :) Enjoy

 
At February 28, 2012 at 3:15 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish you the most fantastic birthday and a wonderful new year full of love wisdom and pleasant surprises!!!!!

Thank you so much for your insightful blog!

Love from Germany,

Angela

 
At February 28, 2012 at 4:36 PM , Blogger Gam said...

Happy Birthday Shannon and thank you for blessing our lives with wonderful postings!

 
At February 28, 2012 at 5:39 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is the first comment I've ever left on blog. I've been following your blog over the last few weeks and your blog has been an inspiration and has become a daily read. Happy Birthday and continue to share your light!

 
At February 28, 2012 at 7:34 PM , Blogger Birdsong said...

A very Happy Birthday to you!

 
At February 29, 2012 at 6:33 AM , Blogger AlwaysMe said...

Happy Birthday!!! I know you will make this year another good one.
Love your blog - beautiful and inspirational.

 
At February 29, 2012 at 9:09 AM , Anonymous Meredith said...

Your posts always pick me up when i'm feeling down. Thank you sharing and getting me thru a rough patch! Happy Birthday!

 
At February 29, 2012 at 10:03 AM , Anonymous Dana Constance Thomas said...

Happy Birthday Shannon. Piscean....no wonder you are such a kindred spirit.

 
At March 3, 2012 at 9:47 AM , Blogger Diane said...

Happy Belated Birthday! And may all the positive, uplifting and ensightfulness you share be brought back to you tenfold!

 
At March 3, 2012 at 3:51 PM , Blogger Relyn Lawson said...

Happy, happy birthday to one stylish and inspiring lady.

 
At March 4, 2012 at 10:41 PM , Blogger Andrea said...

Happy Belated Birthday! I turned 31 on February 24th. I've never felt overwhelmed or intimidated by my age and was the only one of my friends not to panic when I hit my 30s. However, I do often feel overwhelmed and intimidated by my life. I feel like I'm juggling a million things at a time. Your blog, this post in particular, remind me to stay focused on what's really important and provide tons of great tips and excellent perspective. I'm printing this one off to tape up on my wall, just for the extra motivation. Thanks! :)

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by The Simply Luxurious Life. Please take this opportunity to share a comment that is either positive, constructive or contributes and elevates the conversation. The Simply Luxurious Life reserves the right to restrict comments that are mean-spirited, contain profanity or personal attacks, or intend merely to promote a personal or unrelated business. All comments are moderated and will not appear until approved by TSLL. Thank you for taking the time to stop by.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home