The Simply Luxurious Life®: First Step In Creating A Beautiful Sanctuary  

January 18, 2011

First Step In Creating A Beautiful Sanctuary


We spend approximately a third of our lives sleeping, so it is of importance that our bedroom (our private sanctuary) be adorned in such a way as to invite peace and a restful night’s sleep. As I suggested in my quarterly newsletter (sent out on January 1st) on how to create a simply luxurious year, why not turn your bedroom into a welcoming escape, your personal luxury sanctuary that beckons you to dive into bed?

With all of that said, the first step in creating such a bedroom is to make a beautiful bed. There are many suggestions on how to go about making your bed in the morning (some mornings, just making the bed, no matter how neat and tidy it is, is an accomplishment, I realize this all too well), but when you have five minutes, take the time to make a beautiful bed that will make you smile when you come back home at the end of your day.

Here is what works for me (however, I’m still looking for the right accent pillows):

Materials:
2 Euro pillows
2-4 standard pillows
2 accent pillows
duvet
a beautiful silk blanket
favorite sheets (Egyptian cotton)

Steps:

1. With blanket over sheets, lay out on top of your mattress, then turn back the top 6-12 inches. Tuck in all sides, except (and my mom doesn’t like this) I do the “no-tuck” and a double hotel foot fold at the end so that you can easily slide your feet in.

2. Fold the duvet and place it at the end of the bed.

3. Prop two Euro pillows up against the headboard

4. Stack (in two piles) two standard pillows

5. Place two accent pillows in the front of the stacked pillows

To see a video of Nate Berkus demonstrating for both duvet, quilts or comforters, click here.



Labels: , ,

17 Comments:

At January 18, 2011 at 4:29 AM , Blogger The enchanted home said...

Fabulous post! I am a BIG bed person, won't skimp when it comes to anything for my bed, have you ever seen or bought anything from Home Treasures? LOOOVE their bedding, so soft and luxurious. So agree about the part of coming home to a beautiful bed and how good it makes you feel, even better when you finally get to go in it!

 
At January 18, 2011 at 6:30 AM , Blogger Gwen Driscoll said...

Oh, my bedroom is my sanctuary. I love it & it must be just right. Have a great week.

 
At January 18, 2011 at 6:38 AM , Blogger Shopgirl said...

All I want to do right now is go home and sleep!! all those pictures of wonderful beds have made me long for mine!!

We rent and our matress is soooo uncomfortable!! Need to get a topper really! Have just cleared out my bedroom though so it is a more tranquil place to relax!! Not that I need an excuse to lie in!!

 
At January 18, 2011 at 9:28 AM , Anonymous Laura Connell said...

Hotel style bed-making. Very cool! It's these simple details that can make everyday life extra special.

 
At January 18, 2011 at 10:29 AM , Blogger Julie Leah said...

I love this, Shannon! Nate always has the best tips and tricks :)

 
At January 18, 2011 at 10:46 AM , Blogger Sandy at Ooh La Frou Frou said...

Beautiful examples and tips, Shannon! Dreamy rooms. Love Nate!

 
At January 18, 2011 at 5:09 PM , Blogger Carmen said...

Wonderful! I am so happy to see that my bed is made up just like that and it is my own personal sanctuary. Will post a pic to you on Twitter tomorrow!

 
At January 18, 2011 at 5:10 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Gorgeous images Shannon! I agree, the bedroom has to be luxurious above all other rooms in the house!

xo Mary Jo

 
At January 18, 2011 at 5:12 PM , Blogger The Simply Luxurious Life said...

The enchanted home - I haven't heard of Home Treasures, but I will look into them. Sounds like a place I will love. Thank you for letting me know. :)

Ragland Hill - I can imagine you could pull together an amazing bedroom. You have such an amazing eye when it comes to design. Thanks for stopping by!

Laura Connell - it really is the little details. If we can pay attention to those, we also become more appreciative.

CJ - Can't wait to see your pics! xo

 
At January 18, 2011 at 8:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where does the silk blanket go? I'm afraid it would slip off it it was on top. :(

 
At January 18, 2011 at 8:36 PM , Blogger The Simply Luxurious Life said...

xoseventeen - the silk blanket is actually silk on one side and a suede-like fabric on the other, so the silk faces up as the blanket itself is onto of the flat sheet. I hope this helps. :)

 
At January 19, 2011 at 7:45 AM , Blogger Carrie said...

I love a well made bed and look forward to crawling into mine every night. Great post Shannon, thank you for sharing.

 
At January 23, 2011 at 2:50 PM , Blogger Bring Pretty Back said...

This was GREAT! YES! A sanctuary is SO important! I love all of your tips!!
Thank you!
Have a pretty day!
Kristin

 
At February 13, 2011 at 8:35 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful photos. Love the tips!

 
At December 15, 2011 at 6:30 PM , Blogger Alice Paul said...

I LOVE my bed!! It's perfect, has every thing but instead of 2 accent pillows there's 5. And shop the sales! No joke! I got a $400 bed set (Comforter, blanket, 2 Euro shams, 2 regular shams,and 5 accent pillows) for $75! I LOVE going to bed and drifting off into sleep with all me pillow (I have a obession with them). So don't think it has to be expesive just shop the sales!!

 
At May 29, 2012 at 3:57 AM , Anonymous Website in $200 said...

Super luxury pictures. Pls add some Asian styles. Thanks.

 
At March 22, 2013 at 12:15 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

To me you can never go wrong with white or ecru on a bed, it just looks clean and welcoming no matter the room style. I love too that a variety of shams add touches of color to a white bed. My king bed is covered in an over sized ecru quilt that hangs to the floor, my shams are ecru with tiny blue and taupe embroidery in the center and muted edges of taupe and soft greyish-blue. It has such a classy sophisticated appeal with the understated colors...I love a beautiful bed.

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by The Simply Luxurious Life. Please take this opportunity to share a comment that is either positive, constructive or contributes and elevates the conversation. The Simply Luxurious Life reserves the right to restrict comments that are mean-spirited, contain profanity or personal attacks, or intend merely to promote a personal or unrelated business. All comments are moderated and will not appear until approved by TSLL. Thank you for taking the time to stop by.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home