The Simply Luxurious Life®: A Luxurious Hotel - The Palace  

June 29, 2010

A Luxurious Hotel - The Palace

One of the grandest memories I have involving dining has yet to be surpassed by anything I have done since.  About nine years ago during my first year with a real job, my mentor  agreed to meet me in San Francisco since it was the midway point between our respective hometowns. She, having just retired from the career in the field I was only just embarking on, opened my eyes to some of the most gorgeous eating establishments in the city. 

The Palace. Sunday Brunch at The Palace.

The Palace Hotel is located in San Francisco in the heart of the city – three blocks from Union Square and on the corner of Market Street (Montgomery Street). 

The Sunday Jazz Brunch takes place in the Garden Court Restaurant above.  Throughout the entire experience, my eyes were overwhelmed and in awe of the beauty above. 

After the April 18, 1906, earthquake followed by fire, the hotel was decimated, but it re-opened its doors in 1909 and has since celebrated it's 100th anniversary in 2009.  It has welcomed more than a handful of US Presidents and many celebrities, and continues to be the Grand Dame of San Francisco.  Above is a photo of the Grand Re-Opening Honoring The Palace Hotel in 1909.  As you can see the chandeliers continue to remain in the Garden Court.

Back to the brunch!

While I was hungry, I should have been famished because the feast I was about to be presented with would exhaust my eyes just from staring at its opulence.  The cost is $68 which seems at first exorbitant, but take a look at the menu. Sweet and savory bites abound. You have your traditional brunch fare – eggs and omelets prepared to your liking, crepes, pastries, as well as sushi, cakes, pies, dim sum, Chinese delicacies, organically grown California menu items and much of it involving local produce. Oh, and don’t forget the pasta.  All three of your meals for the day could easily be consumed during this one sitting.  So a $68 price tag isn’t looking too steep after all, is it? 

With a mimosa or two to wash all of the goodness down, we finally left, but not without going back for seconds.  It truly was an experience I will never forget and will always remain as one of the highest of highlights of my trips to the city by the bay.

If ever you have the opportunity to experience a brunch that I believe will exceed all of your expectations, I encourage you to go.  I know I’m sure glad I did. (Thank you Marthe, for sharing this gem with me.)

Labels: , ,

13 Comments:

At June 29, 2010 at 12:14 PM , Blogger Evelyne Politanoff said...

Beautiful place, I have to try next time I come to SF.

 
At June 29, 2010 at 12:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What, no Bellini? :-) Mimosa sounds good, too! This is my kind of thing! I'd love to go there. There's just something about fancy hotels... I love dressing up!

 
At June 29, 2010 at 1:00 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Need to bookmark this for future trips out West! Wow!

 
At June 29, 2010 at 1:32 PM , Blogger Barbara von Enger said...

I stayed there for one week two years ago.
A very elegant hotel might I add but room service was very poor indeed.

 
At June 29, 2010 at 1:34 PM , Blogger Lilacandgrey said...

Beautiful hotel! I would love to go to SF and stay there :)
<33

 
At June 29, 2010 at 2:57 PM , Blogger Deepali Kalia Interior Design Blog Filling Spaces said...

What a luxe place i would love to live here forget visit..lol

 
At June 29, 2010 at 7:11 PM , Blogger stylenuggets said...

I'm a fan of dressing up and dining in hotels. All that grandeur is worth the high prices they charge!!

 
At June 29, 2010 at 8:00 PM , Blogger Punctuation Mark said...

i love these types of places with so much history... they are really what luxury is all about!

 
At June 29, 2010 at 8:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Spectacular....such elegance from such an elegant era! Thanks for sharing the beautiful photos!

 
At June 30, 2010 at 12:16 PM , Blogger Jill Seidner | Interior Design said...

Thanks for sharing this! Wow - the hotel is amazing! I must go see it on my next trip to SF - I frequently travel to SF and in all the many times I've been have never been to this hotel! Now on my to do list! :)

 
At June 30, 2010 at 2:14 PM , Blogger Simply Beautiful World said...

Wow! I certainly need to find a time to visit; the pictures are stunning!

xoxo,
Allison

 
At June 30, 2010 at 8:13 PM , Blogger LyddieGal said...

Wow, just stunning! I hope I find myself there someday.

Chic on the Cheap

 
At June 30, 2010 at 8:18 PM , Blogger Patrice said...

Sweet goodness, now doesn't that just look like a slice of heaven? Good gravy, I love your blog!

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by The Simply Luxurious Life. Please take this opportunity to share a comment that is either positive, constructive or contributes and elevates the conversation. The Simply Luxurious Life reserves the right to restrict comments that are mean-spirited, contain profanity or personal attacks, or intend merely to promote a personal or unrelated business. All comments are moderated and will not appear until approved by TSLL. Thank you for taking the time to stop by.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home