The Simply Luxurious Life®: This & That: No. 15  

July 10, 2012

This & That: No. 15

More ideas to help you find your purpose, thoughts about travel, lovely, sultry music and so much more . . .

~Music

~Melody Gardot’s third album The Absence

One of the first albums I shared on the blog a couple of years ago was Melody Gardot’s debut album Worrisome Heart. With her unique way of melding jazz, blues, and a touch of pop, Gardot released her third album at the end of May The Absence. The artist’s story alone is inspiring as she was struck by a car while riding her bike more than eight years ago which severely damaged her spine and caused traumatic brain injury that affected her speech and memory. It was the therapy of music prescribed to her by her doctor that began her very successful music career. An example of turning tragedy into triumph.

~Book

~The Element: How Finding Your Passion Changes Everything by Ken Robinson, Lou Aronica

So many of you write to me asking for advice on how to find your purpose, and while I have shared a few posts on the subject (here and here), a book I have a feeling will be a great resource is Ken Robinson and Lou Aronica’s best-selling book The Element: How Finding Your Passion Changes Everything. At the heart of all of the advice I can give, is that as long as you are willing to search, be open and willing to learn, you will find your purpose. Simply choosing to begin the journey is a very auspicious sign.

~Articles to Read

~”Reclaiming Travel” written by ILAN STAVANS and JOSHUA ELLISON in the New York Times

As I have been planning for my upcoming trip to London and Paris, I have been devouring advice, articles and tips on how to make the experience as wonderful as possible. So when I came across this New York Times opinion piece, I immediately saved it as it held some insightful quotes on what I feel travel should truly be about. Have a look if you too are seeking the best experience in your upcoming travels.

~Overdressed’s author Shares 8 Tips to Avoid the Fast Fashion Frenzy and Still Not Spend a Ton on Clothes

I had shared the link to the recently released book Overdressed: The Shockingly High Price of Cheap Fashion by Elizabeth L. Cline, and I thought the author’s eight tips to help avoid the fashion pressure to buy, buy, buy was very succinct. Found on Fashionista, take a look at how you too can begin to be a better shopper who appreciates quality and doesn’t spend unnecessarily.

~Travel

~Muji Travel

As I am refining my toiletry bag and carry-on, I discovered the Muji travel store which was recommended by Martha Stewart. Full of all sizes and styles of plastic containers, travel bags, toiletry totes, garment bags and everything else you can imagine, this website is the perfect place to visit for those items that you can’t seem to find when you need it right before travel, but would greatly appreciate to make the traveling experience less stressful as you go through security check points.

Upon reading their “About” page, I discovered why I took a liking to the website, “MUJI is simplicity – but a simplicity achieved through a complexity of thought and design.” Have a look. I think you’ll be impressed, as the prices are very reasonable.

~Magazine/Website

~Verily

Just last week, one of my readers suggested I take a look at Verily and now I know why (thank you Vanessa!). A website/blog and now online magazine, Verily was created by five modern women who wanted to create a lifestyle magazine that focused on creating a life that many of the fashion magazines seem to forget about – real women who have worked hard to acquire the education and career they desire, a financially secure life, but at the same time desire a full life of social entertainment, travel, food and love. Have a look, say hello and peruse through their first issue. So many of their concepts are similar to The Simply Luxurious Life, that I have a feeling you might like it.

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

At July 10, 2012 at 5:25 PM , Anonymous Tommie said...

Hi Shannon

Just thought I'd mention that Ines de la Fressamge uses the Muji tin boxes for storage. She indicated that space is an issue in Paris apts and I believe either in her book or in a photo of her apt online, the boxes are indeed in full view. So, you are in good (and stylish) company!

 
At July 10, 2012 at 7:43 PM , Anonymous Vanessa said...

You are quite welcome, Shannon! I am so glad you enjoyed "Verily." I am looking forward to the print issues.

Thank you for the Fashionista article. I picked up "Overdressed" today; it seems very thought-provoking! I am excited to work toward becoming a more mindful shopper.

Enjoy your travels!

 
At July 11, 2012 at 12:39 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Shannon!
Melody Gardot has been at the Vienna Opera House last week and we have had a wonderful concert.
I want You to know, how much I love Your blog. The mix is perfect!
Kindest regards
Susan

 
At July 11, 2012 at 11:01 AM , Blogger The Simply Luxurious Life said...

Susan,
Oh, I can only imagine she was quite wonderful. What a venue to sing in. Thank you for sharing. :)

 
At July 11, 2012 at 11:02 AM , Blogger The Simply Luxurious Life said...

Tommie,
Thanks for letting me know. To have something, no matter how small, in common with her and her taste, I'm quite happy with that. ;)

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by The Simply Luxurious Life. Please take this opportunity to share a comment that is either positive, constructive or contributes and elevates the conversation. The Simply Luxurious Life reserves the right to restrict comments that are mean-spirited, contain profanity or personal attacks, or intend merely to promote a personal or unrelated business. All comments are moderated and will not appear until approved by TSLL. Thank you for taking the time to stop by.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home