The Simply Luxurious Life®: A Day In The Life . . .  

January 10, 2012

A Day In The Life . . .



Last month a reader made the suggestion on this post that I share my daily routine. While all of my posts that appear on Mondays and Wednesdays are derived from what I believe in and what I try to practice in my life in order to live a fulfilling and contented life, I mulled over the idea and finally came to the conclusion . . . well, I think this post is a dead give away, don’t you?

Needless to say, I respect my readers’ requests and want to provide content that you can find value in and want to read, so . . . here it goes. What I hope you will see is that my daily routine fairly simple, but also allows for some time to feel comfort and pampered – thus, the luxurious part. After all, it is about being clear about our intentions, knowing what we want to accomplish and how we are going to do and then, finding the balance so that we have the energy each day to put our best foot forward.

On a regular work day my goal is to begin feeling rested, work in such a way that I may end the day feeling productive, as well as having had the ability to balance business with some pleasure and calm.

Morning Routine:

*Wake up, walk the dogs if my afternoon is especially full or shower (washing my hair only every second or third day – saves time and my hair). Twice a week – go through my simple strength routine for arms, abs and legs, and if I have time 3 sets of Sun Salutations. Always having to have something in the background to keep me moving, I turn on Morning Joe on MSNBC to get up-to-date on world/national news.

*While still in my robe (to make sure I don’t spill on my clothes), I make myself the same breakfast that I have every morning – traditional oatmeal sprinkled with sliced roasted almonds, 1/2 cup of orange juice, and one egg. Turning on NPR to listen to while I eat my breakfast in my kitchen nook with either the Sunday New York Times that I haven’t finished from the weekend or an article from The New Yorker that I am slowly making my way through. My dogs – Norman and Oscar are chilling at my feet waiting to lick my plates when I’m done (yes, I realize my dogs are spoiled, and the dog whisperer would have a fit – please don’t tell.)

*Time to choose the outfit and enjoy deciding on the shoes, accessories and which coat will take me where I need to go throughout the duration of my day.

*Head to work with my favorite tea of the moment in my travel mug.





Late morning – snack on a Gala apple (my favorite – not too sweet, but just enough, and never too tart) or berries.

Lunch Fage Greek yogurt with strawberries – so filling, you’ll be amazed – I promise, or leftovers from dinner the previous day.

Afternoon: 
* After work is complete, before heading home, I take care of errands, trying to condense them into as few trips as possible and stop by the grocery store for any fresh items I will need for dinner (and always try to bring my cloth grocery bags, but sometimes I forget too and I always kick myself).

* If I didn’t exercise in the morning, I would make sure to do so now, otherwise, I try to schedule appointments into this window if at all possible.

The Simply Luxurious Life beckons, and I work on my laptop.

Evening:

* Dinner. Only indulging in dessert three times a week with a truffle just before bed if it is a non-dessert night to reward myself for following my eating plan (peanut butter is my favorite).

*The evening is mine to unwind, read, sip tea, watch a DVRed show and simply relax. My dogs of course will want to snuggle which I gladly welcome.

*To bed for beauty sleep and enough energy to get up and do it all again.
As you know, there are days and special events and demands on our time that change the order of this day, but ultimately this is the schedule I do my best to stick to, and thankfully with much diligence, it happens more than not.

As you can see, each day, while full, still allows for moments of rest and indulging in activities I love. Nothing thrills me more than living this life that has taken work to create for myself and those I love and welcome into my life, and that includes having the opportunity to communicate with you, my readers.  Keep the ideas and suggestions coming regarding posts you would like to see. It is truly my goal to create a blog you enjoy visiting each day of the work week, all the while adhering to The Simply Luxurious Life premise.

Have a wonderful Tuesday.

20 Comments:

At January 10, 2012 at 2:52 AM , Anonymous Clare said...

Thanks for sharing, Shannon! :) I'm a regular reader of your blog and wow so inspiring! I only aim to be so organised!

 
At January 10, 2012 at 3:15 AM , Blogger Stephanie said...

I love this post. I'm actually at a point where my sleeping pattern is completely messed up as i mostly work at night and i'm on summer break from uni.

I like how your day is structured. You wake up when i'm just heading off to bed

xo Stephanie

 
At January 10, 2012 at 7:55 AM , Anonymous Gabriella said...

Your post confirmed what I already know but have a hard time admitting to myself, that waking up earlier leads to a much more productive day. I have been a reader of your blog for a while and love your philosophy. Many thanks for the inspiration!

 
At January 10, 2012 at 10:35 AM , Blogger Vannessa@Luxuria said...

Great post. Like you I am an early riser because I like to take my time starting my day, making breakfast, showering etc. If I get up in a rush or mad panic, the whole day seems to continue out of synch ;-)

 
At January 10, 2012 at 10:55 AM , Blogger Talia said...

Great post! I am an early riser as well and find it the perfect way to begin my day. Working two jobs requires that I get plenty of exercise, eat well and relax, not to mention stay methodically organized.

Thank you for sharing a day in your life with us!

 
At January 10, 2012 at 12:52 PM , Anonymous Anne said...

Thanks for letting us peek into a day in your life, Shannon. My efforts to get and become this self-disciplined and organized always seem to go sideways. Keep the insights coming - you have no idea how many of us you inspire!

 
At January 10, 2012 at 2:03 PM , Blogger Chantelle said...

What a wonderfully organized daily routine!

 
At January 10, 2012 at 2:47 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please try this for your afternoon snack: put 2 rounded tablespoons of Brewer's Yeast (Whole Foods brand) into your favorite juice and CHUG IT - don't sip it and savor it - you'll lose your resolve. In two days, your skin will glow in the dark with health - I promise - from all the vitamins and trace minerals. My mom's skin, at 98 years old, is luminous. You'll see what I mean. But be brave - I love the nutty taste, but most people are real weenies about how things taste. Don't be one of those people, not with so, so much to gain.

 
At January 10, 2012 at 4:29 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Correction on the Brewer's Yeast - my favorite brand names are Lewis Labs, and Bluebonnet, both sold at Whole Foods. Hurry, and get prepared for astonishment in the morning as you view your bare face.

 
At January 10, 2012 at 4:39 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Shannon, you are very inspiring and open. I love your philosophy on life!

 
At January 10, 2012 at 5:52 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shannon -I came accross your blog a few weeks ago and I look forward to reading your thoughts every morning before work. In just a short time it has become a great part of my own daily routine!! Thank you!

 
At January 10, 2012 at 7:33 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks Shannon! I am working on my daily routine: waking up early to start the day off is helpful.

What surprises me how little you eat though! It seems almost worrisome! Or maybe I misread you only have a yogurt with fruits for lunch. Do you care to share more?

 
At January 11, 2012 at 2:53 AM , Blogger Yelena Starikova said...

Wonderful post Shannon! You are so organized! I'm working on waking up early habit!)

XO,
Yelena

glamthings.com

 
At January 11, 2012 at 7:20 PM , Anonymous Jewel Yet to Find said...

Hi Shannon, love your blog very much. You're tremendously organized and focused. But you're a gorgeous young girl, where does entertainment fit in your schedule? Girls nights out, friends? You surely have an extrovert personality. What makes you content beside the fulfilled schedule when all the tasks on to do list are checked? Thank you for sharing your day. So inspirational.

 
At October 5, 2012 at 3:09 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this routine but have 3 children to get ready and leave for work by 8.15. Invariably I am rushed, frazzled and running late! Any ideas? Getting up very early helps but doesn't seem to completely reduce the stress. Gabrielle in Australia.

 
At October 8, 2012 at 5:56 PM , Blogger The Simply Luxurious Life said...

While I can't speak from experience (my only children are my two dogs - and my biggest to-do in the morning for them is to walk them), what I might suggest is trying to get a few things checked off the night before - lunches, lay out and iron clothes, etc. Often times we spend unnecessary time on making decisions that if made in advance would streamline our mornings better. More importantly, I want to say how much I admire moms in general, especially the demands of working moms - I don't know how you balance it all. So most importantly, don't beat yourself up if you can't do everything exactly when and how you want to. Do your best and try to carve a few moments for yourself whenever you can. My thoughts are with you.

 
At January 19, 2013 at 4:39 PM , Blogger Lisa | Happy By said...

I'd love to read more personal posts like this Shannon. Of course I enjoy all your posts and keep looking forward to them, but a real life advice is unbeaten. Your day looks like the right balance between day/night, energy/quiet, healthy/indulgent, alone/socializing, work/fun. I positively envy you :) Thanks for sharing!

 
At August 30, 2013 at 9:02 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It wasn't until I reached the end of the post that it hit me that you walk your dogs at 5:30 in the morning. I'm sure you're extra cautious but I still have goosebumps. I'm a single, young woman and have to take precautions that young men usually don't give a second thought about. It had taken me a long time to recover from a kidnapping attempt. Part of living a fulfilling life indepedently is feeling and being safe. In fact, may I suggest a post regarding personal safety--smarts and awareness are indespensible to any woman. Love your blog, Mary

 
At September 2, 2013 at 5:25 AM , Blogger The Simply Luxurious Life said...

I am so sorry to hear of your experience. I hope that justice was served, as it sounds as though you have found great inner strength to move forward. Yes, there are certain precautions we must all take, especially women. I will certainly put your idea on my list of future posts. Thank you for sharing.

 
At September 16, 2013 at 3:24 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Shannon, just browsing again and belatedly read your reply to my comment from last year, thank you. I have negotiated a later starting time at work which gives me an extra 15 minutes in the morning, it really helps. Like you I have also started walking my two dogs early in the morning, it sets a positive tone for the day. I am more organised the night before as you suggested, and the boys know which days are mummy's work days and they have to do more for themselves. I love your blog and read it religiously. Keep up the wonderful and inspiring writing. Cheers Gabrielle in Australia.

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by The Simply Luxurious Life. Please take this opportunity to share a comment that is either positive, constructive or contributes and elevates the conversation. The Simply Luxurious Life reserves the right to restrict comments that are mean-spirited, contain profanity or personal attacks, or intend merely to promote a personal or unrelated business. All comments are moderated and will not appear until approved by TSLL. Thank you for taking the time to stop by.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home