The Simply Luxurious Life®: For One Entire Week  

June 16, 2011

For One Entire Week

At the beginning of the year, I issued a financial challenge. A challenge to take a bit more control of your spending regardless of whether you are doing exceedingly well or just getting back on track.

This challenge is something I try to do every month, and it forces me to be more organized and spend more consciously.  The challenge is to stop spending for an entire week each month.

At first this may seem difficult, but by giving your checkbook a week off, you demand of yourself to plan ahead on necessary purchases or scheduled appointments, pay your bills at a regular time each month and halt spontaneous and unnecessary spending.

For me this week of no spending usually occurs either the 2nd or 3rd week of the month.  The first is reserved for paying the bills, stocking the pantry and filling up the car.

Each month will be different depending upon what your schedule has in store, however, try to make this something you incorporate into your spending plan.

The simple luxury of looking at your checkbook at the end of the month and seeing a gap of seven days without an entry is a wonderful sight to see.

{Receive additional simply luxurious ideas and inspiration by subscribing to the weekly newsletter. Click here to view a past issue and simply sign up by entering your first name and email address in the middle column to the right on the homepage of The Simply Luxurious Life blog. Each issue arrives promptly in your inbox early Friday morning or late Thursday evening depending on where you live.}

{Have a Twitter account and want inspiration throughout the day as well as being notified of the most recent posts on The Simply Luxurious Life? Follow me here @simplyluxurious. }

Image:Vogue and Coffee

Labels:

6 Comments:

At June 16, 2011 at 10:42 AM , Blogger Talia said...

What a timely post! Just this morning I was reflecting on the fact that for the past three days I've spent nothing. I was so terribly excited (and frankly a little proud of myself) that I vowed I was going to experience this feeling more often! It is a truly freeing experience and I feel much more in control of my finances and of myself.

I love your blog and always look so forward to what you will write about next! It is my most favorite!

 
At June 16, 2011 at 11:14 AM , Blogger lexi920 said...

This is a wonderful idea. You are my own Suze Orman - just waaaay less scary!

I am just proud if I don't buy any cosmetics for a week!

 
At June 16, 2011 at 11:46 AM , Blogger Blue said...

This will be part of my monthly plan from now on. It's a great idea! As pursuing long-term goals instead of instant gratification generally tends to be...

 
At June 16, 2011 at 1:11 PM , Blogger Yelena Starikova said...

Tell us about your progress. Very interesting!

Yelena
AllGlamThings

 
At June 16, 2011 at 4:12 PM , Blogger Tiffany said...

I can't not spend money for a week because I like to buy fresh produce most days for meals ... But I can certainly not buy any 'stuff' for a week. And what about paying bills - I always pay them on the due date, so I wouldn't pay early (or incur a late fee) to stop myself spending anything in a week ...

 
At June 18, 2011 at 4:35 PM , Blogger Tiffani said...

This is such a great idea and I'm totally going to try this each month. Thanks for sharing, xo

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by The Simply Luxurious Life. Please take this opportunity to share a comment that is either positive, constructive or contributes and elevates the conversation. The Simply Luxurious Life reserves the right to restrict comments that are mean-spirited, contain profanity or personal attacks, or intend merely to promote a personal or unrelated business. All comments are moderated and will not appear until approved by TSLL. Thank you for taking the time to stop by.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home