The Simply Luxurious Life®: Create A Spa At Home  

January 25, 2011

Create A Spa At Home

Real estate appraisers and brokers have agreed time and time again that a remodeled full bathroom will reap approximately 60-70% of the initial investment. The only other major remodel that consistently has these results is a kitchen. With that in mind, why not turn your average every day bathroom into a spa-like retreat. Whether you have a small or large space, are renting or own, creating a tranquil and inviting space in which you visit more than once or twice a day can help add to a calmer state of mind.

Two years ago, I took on this challenge and gutted my master bath down to the studs, and I couldn’t have been happier with the results. With only 7 feet by 5 feet to work with, I still was able to create a serene environment that makes me giddy to get beautiful in each morning. In other words, no matter the space or the situation (I’ve painted many a rental bathroom in my past, as my mom will attest to), we all are capable of sprucing up our bathrooms.

Here is a list of ideas that you might want to include in your upcoming remodel:

Paint/Cover Walls in a Calming Color

 

Keep It Clean

 

Keep the Essentials in Organized Baskets or Shelves

(lotions, bubble bath, bath oils, loofah, etc)

 

Eliminate Clutter

 

Add a Dimmer

 

A Beautiful Scent

(aromatherapy, candles, etc)

 

Plush Oversized Towels

 

A Framed Mirror or Held with a Ribbon

 

Upholstered Furniture

 

Just Add Art

 

Have Robe & Slippers Ready

 

Music

 

Unique Bowls, Vases or Stools

 

Bring in Plants or Flowers

Images: (1) Source (2) Source (3) Source (4) Source (5) Source (6) Source (7) Source (8) Source (9) Source (10) Source (11) Source (12) Source (13) Source (14) Source

Labels:

10 Comments:

At January 25, 2011 at 3:41 AM , Blogger Haughty by Nature said...

Ah, yes, rental bathrooms. Mine currently has no natural light, and is so small I shoo away anyone who comes in to talk to me while I'm putting makeup on. But I find that a little lavender incense, soft lighting, and plush monogrammed towels help me to see past all of that!

 
At January 25, 2011 at 6:45 AM , Blogger Vannessa@Luxuria said...

Oh my GOD!!! If only..........

 
At January 25, 2011 at 7:22 AM , Blogger hostess of the humble bungalow said...

I agree 100%....we renovated our small bathroom a few years ago...claw foot tub, pedestal sink all white subway tile...
in floor heating and I love fluffy white towels...spa days here at home are much more enjoyable.

In the end...pampering doesn't require a new room...just the right attitude!

Luscious photos!

 
At January 25, 2011 at 8:45 AM , Blogger Fidji said...

Can you hear the water bubbling ?
Got you straight to the point... and as a listening student, off to my not so pretty bathroom but enhanced just now by all your good advice ! Thanks !

Fidji from irresistibleparis.blogspot.com

 
At January 25, 2011 at 9:15 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Shannon these are gorgeous--so many of these are favorites already in my bathroom file (it's huge as I've been planning this renov for a year) and there are a few you have that actually fit the floor plan of my bathroom -- such as the hanging crystal lights--I've been pondering that one for awhile and trying to figure out what fixtures would work--I love these, now to find them! I would love to see how your revamp turned out! Hoping you will share that soon :)

xo Mary Jo

 
At January 25, 2011 at 10:39 AM , Blogger Jill Seidner | Interior Design said...

Love these bathrooms! Such a great idea - having a spa like bathroom at home. SO many of my client's request this!

 
At January 25, 2011 at 12:45 PM , Blogger Sofie said...

If I ever visit someone and thei bathroom is totally heaven, I can make excuses all the time just to be in there. I love me a beautiful bathrooms to make myself look beautiful in.

 
At January 26, 2011 at 4:54 AM , Blogger Fashion Mom said...

i love so much white for interiors, it's so clean , pure, romantic x
www.thefashionmom.com

 
At January 26, 2011 at 10:42 AM , Blogger Lissa Pierce said...

Great Tips! When we move we will finally have a large en-suite master bath....with a tub! I can't contain my excitement. I hope to make that space wonderful, and this list will definetly help.

 
At January 28, 2011 at 9:58 PM , Blogger Peggy and Fritz said...

I want every one of these bathrooms! Gorgeous.

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by The Simply Luxurious Life. Please take this opportunity to share a comment that is either positive, constructive or contributes and elevates the conversation. The Simply Luxurious Life reserves the right to restrict comments that are mean-spirited, contain profanity or personal attacks, or intend merely to promote a personal or unrelated business. All comments are moderated and will not appear until approved by TSLL. Thank you for taking the time to stop by.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home