The Simply Luxurious Life®: Another Beautiful Memory  

July 14, 2010

Another Beautiful Memory

Today is Bastille Day in France, and to everyone who lives in there or is a citizen of such a stylish and svelte country, I wish you a  lovely and amazing celebration.

I can vividly remember my unforgettable opportunity ten years ago as to be in Angers, France, on this particular date.  If I close my eyes, I can still see in detail so many moments of this beautiful memory, and it will forever be something I will never forget.

Angers Chateau (what was once a moat has now been converted into formal rose gardens) was something I had the opportunity to walk by every day on my way to class. The sight never became mundane – never.

Dusk was slowly coming upon us and we all walked down the main street toward the Loire River to sit on the cement steps that lined for what seemed liked miles of the riverbank.

Of course, we had our wine with us, but our taste was not that refined, what did we know?  A few chuckles were directed our way, and we laughed right along with them because, after all, it was their celebration, not ours. We were enjoying ourselves – good friends, an unforgettable time in our lives and a beautiful atmosphere.  Keep in mind, we had also been in France during the Fourth of July, so in a way, we were celebrating for our own country as well, just a bit delayed.

As the clock neared ten o’clock, the music began to play and for the life of me I still can’t understand how we were able to hear it so clearly in an outdoor setting with no amphitheater (but then again I had had a few sips of wine).

O, Fortuna (set to music by German composer Carl Orff for his twenty-five-movement cantata Carmina Burana) blared over and across the river and my heart began to beat uncontrollably.  That music alone can stir something in me to this day that I can’t explain. (Click here to read the lyrics in English)

And what was already an unforgettable trip up until that point, began to surpass my expectations.  The fireworks were synchronized with the crescendos of the music, and I was in awe.

Each time I read Charles Dickens’ The Tale of Two Cities, I appreciate a bit more what must have been a horrendous time in France which makes the country all that more something special to treasure.  The history, the culture, the people.  I am aching to return.

After all, without this historic moment, who knows if we would ever have seen the likes of people like Coco Chanel and so many other exquisite designers in our modern world. 

Classic French – Gabrielle “Coco” Chanel made the top style gurus now repeatedly list as a must-have in your closet.  Whether you refer to it as a nautical, a  marinière, a fisherman’s top or Breton stripe, the look consists of white and navy horizontal stripes usually left untucked. I for one, don’t know what I would do with out this classic.  (I must confess, as I write this I am wearing J.Crew’s version.)

So to all of my French bloggers and readers, this post is to you.  Enjoy and revel in your historic and memorable day and culture because it is truly something to be treasured.

{*Worth noting – Carl Orff – while a brilliant composer, left something to be desired when it came to his character. Read more here.)

Images:(1) Source  (3) Source(4) Source

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At July 14, 2010 at 10:28 AM , Blogger Connie @ SogniESorrisi said...

When I was younger I had no idea the significane behind Bastille Day, but I loved the entire French population stopped and celebrated on my birthday!

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by The Simply Luxurious Life. Please take this opportunity to share a comment that is either positive, constructive or contributes and elevates the conversation. The Simply Luxurious Life reserves the right to restrict comments that are mean-spirited, contain profanity or personal attacks, or intend merely to promote a personal or unrelated business. All comments are moderated and will not appear until approved by TSLL. Thank you for taking the time to stop by.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home