The Simply Luxurious Life®: Barefoot Contessa’s Barn in East Hampton  

June 11, 2010

Barefoot Contessa’s Barn in East Hampton

New episodes of The Barefoot Contessa on the Food Network are always something I have to admit I plan my Saturday around. While these images of her newly built barn were published in House Beautiful in 2008 and correlated with the release of her 2008 cookbook Back to Basics, I thought I’d post them as way of reminding us not only of her creativity, but of her ability and desire to entertain outside.  In June of 2010, Ina hosted East Hamptons’s Historical Society at her home for a garden party. Click here to see images taken at the event.  And in other good news, Ina’s new cookbook How Great Is That? will be released October 26, 2010.

One of my favorite things to do on a Saturday if my schedule allows is to hit the local yard sales early in the morning and then come home with a cup of hot tea, a blanket and snuggle up to watch her show which airs on the west coast at ten thirty in the morning.  A perfect way to ease into the weekend and potentially plan my next meal. 

Okay, back to the barn.  This is a misnomer in more ways than one because in all actuality it is a second home.  A home for Ina Garten’s fan favorite Food Network cooking show – Barefoot Contessa.  If you are a follower of Ina’s, you watched her transition a few years ago from taping her beloved show in her home in East Hampton to taping in her newly built barn that very much resembles her home kitchen but was necessary to build, she comments, because she needed a home to go to after work.  A Belgian country style structure, designed by architect Frank Greenwald, the barn provides her the space and ability to entertain and eat outdoors as so many of her guests love to do when invited over, as well as the separation from work and home when taping is taking place.

When asked what makes her most comfortable, she shared (she ‘s a lover of tea as well!):

1. Cashmere blankets and Loro Piana slippers everywhere.

2. Great dance music when I'm cooking.

3. Flower arrangements from the garden.

4. Mariage Frères tea with homemade cookies.

5. Surrounding myself with people who make me happy.

Having the garden directly outside of your master bedroom – serenity found. 

A 17th century oak table is a nice touch in a neutral bedroom.  Bed linens from Frette.

Just outside the bedroom is Ina’s office where a photo of Luxembourg Gardens by Jean-Michel Berts hangs above her antique desk from Bloom located in Sag Harbor.

A soaking tub from Waterworks fills the space perfectly.  While one lets their cares melt away, they are able to gaze out onto a walled garden, or close the Nanik wood blinds for some privacy.

A beautiful 17th century Venetian mirror hangs above a 19th century muslin-covered settee from Bloom.

Viking range and hood; Sub-Zero refrigerator; Bosch dishwasher; KitchenAid mixer.

Looking out from the barn, you can see the main residence in the distance.

Preparing for guests, Ina stand on the bluestone terrace.

And for more information on exactly what you will find in her new cookbook How Great Is That? click here.

Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

At June 11, 2010 at 5:30 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

i LOVE exposed beams! - and all that outdoor space - how can u not invite all ur friends and family to share that with!

*kiss kiss*
Happy Weekend
Erika
~Tiptoe Butterfly~

 
At June 11, 2010 at 6:06 AM , Blogger Alexandria ♥ said...

Hi, good morning,
This home is gorgeous.
But, I have to reming myself that it is not really how the home looks in real life.
That is to say, that a whole cast and crew have spent hours and lighting and props and I don't know what all to create this seductive image.
I think that the b.f. contessa is a lovely person.
Have a great day : 0
Alexandria ♥

 
At June 11, 2010 at 7:28 AM , Blogger deliciously organized said...

I just adore her and her home. Her backyard is incredible!

 
At June 11, 2010 at 7:31 AM , Blogger Bring Pretty Back said...

I must admit , I have SERIOUS Home envy with this one. Every single thing is perfect! And you and I could spend every single Saturday together! thats my kinda day!
Have a pretty day!
Kristin

 
At June 11, 2010 at 8:26 AM , Blogger Mary @Delightful Bitefuls said...

Her home... so lovely! I especially love the organized pots and pans section :) I can't help myself! Great post!

xxMK
Delightful Bitefuls

 
At June 11, 2010 at 9:38 AM , Blogger Kay said...

now that is a place to call home... speaking of home (not sure i ever realized it) but you are in oregon...? my home away from home... lovely as always

 
At June 11, 2010 at 9:42 AM , Blogger Lorrie said...

What a gorgeous home, so light and airy. Ina Garten is one of my favourite chefs. Nice to see this.

 
At June 11, 2010 at 10:03 AM , Blogger The Simply Luxurious Life said...

Kay - I am located in Oregon - the lovely city of Portland is my home away from home (lived there for 8 years) and currently I live in a small town. Always nice to meet people who have roots of some sort with our beautiful state. =)

 
At June 11, 2010 at 6:41 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

wuaww what a fabulous post!! I love her and now even more that I have seen her house in detail!! Looove it!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by The Simply Luxurious Life. Please take this opportunity to share a comment that is either positive, constructive or contributes and elevates the conversation. The Simply Luxurious Life reserves the right to restrict comments that are mean-spirited, contain profanity or personal attacks, or intend merely to promote a personal or unrelated business. All comments are moderated and will not appear until approved by TSLL. Thank you for taking the time to stop by.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home