The Simply Luxurious Life®: This & That: No. 56  

April 30, 2013

This & That: No. 56

A few things I’ve been wanting to share – an insightful and burden-lifting book, my favorite tea kettle that will last for many years to come, fun, classic spring wardrobe ideas and a few other things you might enjoy . . .

~Book

1. The Myths of Happiness: What Should Make You Happy, But Doesn’t, What Shouldn’t Make You Happy, But Does by Sonja Lyubomirsky

Over the weekend, I shared that I was diving into a couple of books - one of which was Sonja Lyubomirsky’s The Myths of Happiness. Focused on revealing the fallacies in studies that continue to be perpetuated in the news, she sheds light on the truth behind the myths when it comes to attaining happiness throughout our lives. Whether regarding relationships – marriage, being single, earning more money or wishing for another job that we are certain will make us much happier. She continues on to include aging and health obstacles that one expects couldn’t possibly contain any hope of happiness.

I highly recommend this book if you have become perplexed on how to achieve your own happiness only to discover that the outside world and our inability to control our thoughts is actually at the root of the problem. Along with the enlightening information, so also provides tips on how to toss aside the myths and live a life that is authentic and full of genuine happiness.

~Kitchen

2. Le Creuset Enamel-on-Steel Demi 1-1/4 quart tea kettle, white

As a lover of drinking tea, the first tea kettle I purchased for myself was a classic white Le Creuset that has been with me for the past seven years. Since then, I’ve come to realize that I don’t need such a large kettle for only one or two people and discovered the demi version which is perfect for boiling hot water (and the price is more approachable as well).

A quality product that will last for decades, Le Creuset tea kettles, like their Dutch ovens ,are a purchase you won’t regret. Choose from a wide array of colors to fit your aesthetic and place on your stove top for instance chic kitchen decor.

Music

3. Michael Buble To Be Loved

Last week, Michael Buble released his latest album To Be Loved. Compiled of four original tracks written by Buble and 10 classic covers I love listening to such as “You Make Me Feel So Young” and “Something Stupid” (featuring Reese Witherspoon), Michael Buble candidly shared on an interview with NPR that he doesn’t know when it became unmanly to share a bit of emotion via a ballad similar to Sinatra, but he refuses to change his tune. Good for you Michael. Keep up the good work.

~Shopping

4. Imogene + Willie ‘Louise’ sheer polka dot blouse

As I was perusing designer Tory Burch’s blog, I came across Imogene + Willie’s ‘Louise’ navy polka dot blouse. Reminiscent of the seventies with billowing sleeves, the modern touch of a deep v-neck option and playful simple polka dots caught my attention. Paired this spring and summer with linen shorts and sandals or white skinny jeans, what a wonderful chic, sophisticated option to have on hand.

5. Clover Canyon Endless Summer Skirt

Last week I discovered Atlantic-Pacific’s Blair Eadie wearing Clover Canyon’s Endless summer skirt and I was intrigued. Disappointed to discover it wasn’t available via her link, I soon discovered that Moda Operandi had it available in their boutique for only $185 (click here). Such a playful print for spring and summer, and with the classic colors, this skirt could be paired seamlessly with a print or solid top (Atlantic-Pacific paired it with a classic striped long-sleeve shirt).

6. J.Crew vintage pajama set (navy, white or hydrangea blue)

A pair of classic pajamas is a must-have on my wardrobe list. Whether you are lounging around home or traveling in style, having a pair of pajamas that allow you to walk around in the early morning provides peace of mind and instant comfort. J.Crew’s vintage pajamas, under $100, are fitting with the new trend of pjs for day, and while I don’t think I will ever have the nerve to wear my pajama top to work, I certainly wouldn’t mind one more pair of dependable and stylish pajamas.

7. Reiss Sample Sale – London

To all of my London readers, if you are a fan of simple luxury, do stop into Reiss’s sample sale this Wednesday May 1st through May 4th. Held in The Music Room, 26 South Molton Lane in London from 8am-8pm Wednesday through Friday and 9am-7pm on Saturday, prices are slashed up to 50%. These are a few of the items I would be searching for if I was lucky enough to be across the pond – here, here and here.

4 Comments:

At April 30, 2013 at 5:24 AM , Anonymous Kat Rodriguez said...

In regards to Sonja Lyubomirsky’s belief that it is our inability to control our thoughts that leads to unhappiness, there is a saying that has always stuck in my mind, 'we must live skillfully'. Thinking in a productive, positive way is a learned behavior.

 
At April 30, 2013 at 9:19 AM , Blogger GingerLand said...

This is one of my favorite "This and That's" yet... loving each and everyone of these suggestions. Can't wait to check them out!

 
At May 1, 2013 at 3:36 PM , Anonymous Stephanie said...

Hmm, I wonder how long the current Reiss collection will be in stores? There is one particular dress that I would love to try on! I'll be in London beginning Jul 30, so 3 months away...any idea how long the collections last in stores? In N. America it seems alot of stores constantly turn over things and add new collections, but my favourite store in Paris for example, only does 2 collections a year - one fall/winter, and one spring/summer, though they do not roll out every item right at once. It seems to be alot more focused on the quality of clothing vs. how many items can be produced every year.

Also that's an excellent point about the kettle! It made me think of the one I have now which is quite a dingy crappy one. I'm putting an elegant kettle on my list for my kitchen when I move into my place next year!

 
At May 3, 2013 at 11:52 AM , Anonymous Kristine Greenberg said...

First of all, love the Imogene + Willie blouse. Those sleeves are to die for. I find it unbearably difficult to find well-made, interesting, and luxurious! blouses. Even better, however, is how their story honoring their grandparents inspired me to reflect on the relationships I had with mine and the numerous insights and teachings they shared with me. I was fortunate to spend loads of time with 8 grandparents and 2 great grandmothers. What a pleasant way to spend a few moments on a dreary and cold Chicago afternoon. Shannon you are truly gifted at curating a luxurious life. How did you find Imogene + Willie?

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by The Simply Luxurious Life. Please take this opportunity to share a comment that is either positive, constructive or contributes and elevates the conversation. The Simply Luxurious Life reserves the right to restrict comments that are mean-spirited, contain profanity or personal attacks, or intend merely to promote a personal or unrelated business. All comments are moderated and will not appear until approved by TSLL. Thank you for taking the time to stop by.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home