The Simply Luxurious Life®: This & That: No. 23  

September 4, 2012

This & That: No. 23

~Blog

~The Budget Babe

Dianna Baros

I recently had the opportunity to communicate with the successful blogger, Dianna Baros who authors the blog mentioned on Oprah, People, and many other well-known publications, The Budget Babe. With a mission to share and inspire readers to discover the “Fab without a Fortune” as they style themselves for their daily lives, Dianna’s energy and enthusiasm is something that comes through as you read through her blog. If you love fashion, and you also want to stick to your budget, be sure to stop by.

~Book

~Lessons from Madame Chic: 20 Stylish Secrets I Learned While Living in Paris by Jennifer L. Scott

I briefly mentioned last week on my Tumblr and Pinterest pages that the much anticipated re-release date of Jennifer L. Scott’s book Lessons From Madame Chic has been announced, but I wanted to post it on the blog as well. On Tuesday, November 6th a beautifully redesigned hardback version of what publishers and first readers fell in love with in the spring will be available. With beautiful illustrations, Jennifer has kindly offered to sponsor a giveaway on The Simply Luxurious Life closer to the release date, but if you want to ensure you have your very own copy, feel free to pre-order now. 

~Film

~The Eye Has to Travel 

While the documentary of iconic Harper Bazaar’s editor-in-chief Diane Vreeland (she was also the editor of Vogue for eight years following her tenure at HB) debuted last year at the Venice and Telluride Film Festivals to positive acclaim, it is now finally premiering here in the states. Produced by her granddaughter-in-law Immordino Vreeland and edited by Bent-Jorgen Perlmutt and Frédéric Tcheng, editors of “Valentino: The Last Emperor”, New York Fashion Week will be the backdrop of The Eye Has to Travel on Saturday, September 8th. Be sure to take a few minutes to view the trailer (here), as it certainly caught my attention with her strong convictions, signature style and the confident voice of DV herself heard throughout much of the entire film.  Following the premiere, it is being released in New York and Los Angeles on September 21st and nationwide in early October. Something to put your fall calendar to rev up your fashion engines and remind yourself why fashion has such a prominent place in our culture.

“There’s only one very good life, and that’s the life you know you want and you make it yourself.” –Diane Vreeland

~Recipe

~Heirloom Cherry Tomato Salad 

Summer may be coming to a close, but gardens are now brimming full of their deliciousness – from cucumbers, squash, potatoes, apples and pumpkins, and one of my favorites - the heirloom tomato. Chef Dana Minuta shares this perfect end of summer recipe – Heirloom Cherry Tomato Salad - which she suggests pairing with a crusty baguette. Yum!

~Shopping

~Mabel & Zora boutique

Over the weekend I escaped to Portland, and thoroughly loved strolling around the Pearl District. The sun was warm, the breeze was absent and people were enjoying the idyllic summer weather by relaxing in the parks, popping into stores, dining al fresco and taking in the art scene as the annual event Art in the Pearl was in full gear.

As I was wandering about, I walked by a women’s boutique clothing store on 11th that caught my attention – Mabel & Zora. I took a minute to stop in after inquiring about a Trina Turk link necklace that caught my attention (and now I am saving up for), and discovered delightful service, a fun and inviting atmosphere and many other designer labels that I regularly look to in order to replenish my closet (Laundry, 7 for all Mankind, Ella Moss, as well as local designers).

If you’re ever in the Portland area, be sure to soak up all that the Pearl has to offer, and when your fashion bug strikes, be sure to visit Mabel & Zara.

~Tory Burch Patent Leather Eddie Ballet Flats in Royal Tan   - $178

I have mentioned many times about ballet flats being one of my go-to footwear essentials, and since I highly recommend quality so that they can last from year to year (my current flats are just finishing their second year), Tory Burch’s royal tan flats are the perfect neutral flat to have on hand at the most reasonable price I’ve found (trust me, I’ve searched everywhere for quality nude flats that are affordable). These flats will pair well with jeans all year round and with dresses and skirts as well.

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At September 4, 2012 at 4:44 AM , Blogger meghan said...

Thanks for the new blog recommendation! I am excited about back reading a bit in my down time today. I ordered the nude revas (non-patent) this weekend and cannot wait for them to arrive. I need a neutral shoe.

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by The Simply Luxurious Life. Please take this opportunity to share a comment that is either positive, constructive or contributes and elevates the conversation. The Simply Luxurious Life reserves the right to restrict comments that are mean-spirited, contain profanity or personal attacks, or intend merely to promote a personal or unrelated business. All comments are moderated and will not appear until approved by TSLL. Thank you for taking the time to stop by.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home