The Simply Luxurious Life®: Coco & Rogers – Meet the Designer  

April 18, 2011

Coco & Rogers – Meet the Designer

Recently, I discovered the clothing label Coco & Rogers as my first introduction was the Spring 2010/2011 collection. I was intrigued – the melding of gorgeous classic style with chic modern appeal, solid colors that beautifully draped a woman’s silhouette all the while reserving a bit of mystery.

I was mesmerized and did my best to seek out the talented designer – Vanessa Nguyen (below). Fortunately, Vanessa graciously granted my wish for an interview as her designs truly seem to exhibit simple luxury, and I was curious to discover her inspiration.

Having only recently begun the venture into the world of fashion (2010), Coco & Rogers is off to a very successful start. With a clear vision, Coco & Rogers brings women effortless style with wardrobe essentials that exude a sophistication fit for any woman who desires luxurious clothing that can be worn in her busy modern life and can carry over from season to season as they are quality classics that possess a subtle hint of signature style.

Located in Sydney, Australia, her Autumn/Winter 2011 collection is available now, and for my readers in the states and Europe, be sure to take some time to begin prepping your fall wardrobe. These beautiful separates and dresses are sure to complement whatever you discover this summer as you put together your fall/winter closet.

It is my pleasure to introduce Vanessa Nyguyen – designer behind Coco & Rogers:

*Birthplace: Melbourne, Australia

*Current Home: Sydney, Australia

*Age: 34

*Favorite Quotation: "Know, first, who you are, then adorn yourself accordingly" – Epicetus

*Favorite Designers: YSL, Gianbattista Valli, Lanvin, Victoria Beckham

*Favorite piece of clothing in your closet: I have so many favourites! Right now, it's probably the Coco & Rogers Twisted Mini Dress. It's so versatile that I wear it everywhere in every way - bare legged or with opaque tights, with ballet flats, sky high chunky sandals, ankle boots.

*Books that influenced who you are and continue to inspire how you approach life: The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho - everything is possible if you really want it to happen. And on the other end of the scale, when I was growing up I loved The Baby Sitters Club series of books. They were so entrepreneurial! Plus I could relate to Claudia Kishi for her love of fashion and her sugar habit.

*What was the inspiration for the name Coco & Rogers? It's a combination of my nickname (short for Coconut as I get very tanned in the summer) and my now-fiancée who has been so supportive through the process of establishing Coco & Rogers.

*What prompted you to begin Coco & Rogers and start your own design business? It came through a need for change in my life. I previously had a very corporate career in property and banking, until I realised that what I really wanted to do was follow my passion for creating clothes. It has been a lot of time and effort in starting from nothing to what the label is today; I've learned so much about how the fashion industry operates as well as all aspects of running a business.

*Define what style is to you. Style is an expression of who you are - looking effortless, feeling comfortable and confident. It's not so much about what you wear, but how you wear it.

* Where do you find inspiration? I am most inspired by street blogs - I love seeing what people are wearing in every day life. I also love old movies; I like to reference them in a modern way.

*What has been the biggest unforgettable moment in your career thus far? The first time I saw a woman wearing a Coco & Rogers dress and coat walking past me on the street. I still get so excited when I see people wearing my label!

*Pieces of clothing every woman should have in their closet in order to always look stylish: I think it really depends on the individual woman and her lifestyle, so I would just say that every woman should have things that are flattering to their own body shape. Having said that, a trench coat is always stylish and looks great on everyone.

*What is your inspiration for the A/W 2011 collection?  I was inspired by my own experience in a client facing career where presentation is important - and deciding what to wear every day can sometimes be stressful! The Coco & Rogers brand is all about effortless dressing, being able to reach for favourite pieces and know that they will be perfect in any situation. Combined with the fabrics themselves - smooth merino jersey and lightweight woven cashmere - inspired me to create easy-to-wear pieces which are trans seasonal enough to wear from autumn through to spring.

{Below you will find a few hand picked pieces from Coco & Roger’s Autumn/Winter 2011 collection. Simply click on the link to investigate further into each piece. The must-have piece I have my eye on for my professional wardrobe is the cashmere pencil skirt. Paired with many of the pieces are articles from Coco & Roger’s blog - Coco’s Obsession du Jour – in which the designer reveals tips and secrets on how to best incorporate each piece into your lifestyle.}

Cashmere Cape Coat and Merino Twisted Mini Dress

(Tips About How to Wear the Mini - Forgiving Enough to Let Your Forget the Gym)

Cashmere Hooded Swing Jacket

Jersey Cowl Neck T and Relaxed Pant

(read Coco’s tips on how to wear and incorporate a cowl neck T into your wardrobe)

Cashmere Pencil Skirt 

(read Vanessa’s blog post Pencil Skirts: Pencil Shaped Body Not Mandatory)

Merino Cowl Neck Dress

Merino Racer Back Dress

A huge thank you to both Vanessa and Sofia for working with me as all the pieces came together for this post.

All images via Coco & Rogers

3 Comments:

At April 18, 2011 at 3:52 PM , Blogger The enchanted home said...

Beautiful....haven't heard of it but will now be looking, my kind of clothes, streamlined, tailored and classic but with a twist..beautiful girl too!

 
At April 19, 2011 at 9:55 AM , Blogger Yelena Starikova said...

Wow!!! Gorgeous! I love Vanessa's scene of Style!
http://www.glamthings.com/

 
At April 19, 2011 at 7:40 PM , Blogger SunnyDay said...

I have the website bookmarked, anxiously awaiting the arrival of the spring line! Vanessa is not only a talented designer but also very nice and helpful. She gave me a lot of information about one of her items by email. I love the aesthetic - classic, elegant and tailored and very modern.

 

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by The Simply Luxurious Life. Please take this opportunity to share a comment that is either positive, constructive or contributes and elevates the conversation. The Simply Luxurious Life reserves the right to restrict comments that are mean-spirited, contain profanity or personal attacks, or intend merely to promote a personal or unrelated business. All comments are moderated and will not appear until approved by TSLL. Thank you for taking the time to stop by.

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home